Portable Generator Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdes

Reaction score
I was hoping somebody could off some advice about portable generator supplies as i've been asked about a potential installation for a builder i know,

I'll start off by saying i'm a bit ignorant about generators so dont be too harsh!

He's building a wooden stable with 6 rooms built on concrete floor. The installation would consist of 6 class II lights controlled by one external weatherproof switch and also a weatherproof double socket mounted somewhere. So the install would need 30mA RCD protection due to double socket so i would fit a 2 way DB with 30mA RCD, 6a and 16a mcbs.

The generator will be a small portable one probably 3kw. I'm trying to figure if the Generator needs to have a rod installed? I've read the wiring matters article about portable genrators and my understanding is that all i need to do is ensure that neutral and earth are linked at the gennie and RCD protection provided. Correct?

I'm asking because the generator will need to be moved in and out of the stables often so providing a rod will involve a few issuses.

Also i've been wandering about the certification side of things, anything i need to consider there?

I know this subject has been covered a lot but i cant seem to find a scenario like i have.

Cheers

The rod would be fixed, so even if moving the generator a lot, you wouldn't keep removing the rod and disconnecting it.

I question does he really need a generator?  It will be a complete PITA to get it out and start it each time he wants some lights on.

consider a 12V battery or bank of batteries, some 12V lighting, a solar panel and wind generator to charge them.  Lighting on demand when you want them.

Only get the genny out when he wants to run power tools as a stand alone item.

Yeah i know the rod would have to stay fixed but was thinking maybe leave the earth cable long enough to allow the genrator to move in and out of the stable but cant really think of a good way of doing that!  so was just wandering if it even needs a rod?

Thanks

Why not just stick an appliance inlet on the side of the building to power up the CU, connect the earth rod direct to the earth bar in the CU, so then all you have to do is plug the genny in and start it up!!

john

sounds like a plan. Didnt think of that. 

So doing it that way would mean the gennie doesnt need a rod?

cheers

that's what I was trying to say.

If you are really set on using the genny and rule out batteries etc, then I would make a covered cage that the genny can live in permenantly to save lugging it about.