Power Cut (how prepared are you?)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The easiest way is to have your "essential services" on a seperate CU.. this could be run as a sub main off the main CU via a plug/socket arrangement.Un plug socket in the event of a powercut and plug into genny output.. when power comes back on all your other stuff will come back on..
How would you handle the earthing arrangements? Would you bond the Generator to the MET?

I think I remember reading that if you run your electrics from a generator during a power cut/while work is being done then the DNO like to be informed.

I suppose it's because if you have not effectively isolated your system from the mains (ie with a changeover switch) then you could energise the mains backwards from your generator, potentially zapping anyone working on the other end!

:eek:

if you have a backup genny then you must use a changeover switch..

Could you imagine the bang if you had a genny connected without changeover and they re energized the network...

if you have a backup genny then you must use a changeover switch..Could you imagine the bang if you had a genny connected without changeover and they re energized the network...
Indeed...

bad day explode

i have a customer who is fed up of the frequency and duration of the outages so we are installing a 15kVA 3 phase genny for his house!

if you have a backup genny then you must use a changeover switch..Could you imagine the bang if you had a genny connected without changeover and they re energized the network...
if you didnt have a changeover switch, your genny would probably trip out immediately as youd be powering everyone else. and if its tripped, it cant go bang when mains is back

A bit off topic, we are stripping out a yard as the utilities company that leased it have lost the contract after 3, 5 year contracts . Yard owned by Thames water, part of the sewage works and they have an on-site genny that puts out 11kv powered by methane collected from the sewage. This runs the entire site including the 4 story office block & all the sewage works for 4 days a week. The other 3 days they run off the national grid until pressure has built up in the collectors.

A bit off topic, we are stripping out a yard as the utilities company that leased it have lost the contract after 3, 5 year contracts . Yard owned by Thames water, part of the sewage works and they have an on-site genny that puts out 11kv powered by methane collected from the sewage. This runs the entire site including the 4 story office block & all the sewage works for 4 days a week. The other 3 days they run off the national grid until pressure has built up in the collectors.
That's what I call proper recycling.

;)

Diggin up an old thread, i know! But I read another thread recently about someone at a wedding who suffered a power outage and the hotel didn't have a generator on standby!! Mental.

I've used these guys ********** for all my emergency power on standby needs for work over the last couple of years. Never been let down.

I can't understand why any business/organisation would forego standby electricity. It's madness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the spammers surfaced this thread i thought i would post this, http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=2267  which i spotted in the paper today. Seems bloody good value but how long will it last- 3 year warranty.
my mate has one of those, well, similar, had it a couple of years now, doesnt run it anywhere close to its capacity most of the time, and he reckons it struggles at about 1.5kW , but its fine for him,

he has boiled a small kettle off it, albeit it was on its knees at the time,

its like most things from there I guess, you get what you pay for,

TBH, I dont think its much worse than my 'honda copy' genny , it does what it says on the tin, and absolutely nothing more, dont stress it and it'd be fine.

BTW, I wish Id got one of them and not mine that I have to carry everywhere.  :|

Status
Not open for further replies.