Power Feed For A New Pir Light From An Emergency Light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runner

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a question. I generally do domestic work but have been asked to quote on a commercial job.

They wanted a PIR light outside on a wall so I quoted for chasing a fused spur along side an existing double

socket inside and then I was going to drill straight out and up the wall in conduit and into a bulkhead PIR fitting.

They got another company to quote and they said they would just come straight off an existing outside

emergency light and into a PIR light along side it.

My question is, is it ok to come off an emergency light and also there is no means of isolation to change lamps

or if there was a fault other than by turning off the emergency lighting at the fuseboard.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

James

Those emergency lights are probably fed from a local light circuit I'd guess Runner , so why not add a light .  Don't see it as a big deal TBH ! 

We can all concoct  wonderful ways to do a job but someone will step in with a simple solution and you've lost out again !

The emergency light should have a test switch, so  you should only tap off before that. However although i dont think its correct & i would not do it  i cant think of a reg to say its not allowed
So if it has a test switch for testing correct function of emergency light, it would be off for a maximum of 3 Hours and most likely in daylight, so would that really effect the function of  a added security light with PIR.

The cost effective installation method that does the job, wins.

I priced a job a few years back, small shop empty shell, so I thought trunking, plug-in light sockest off trunking, power sockets in conduit etc, really nice job.

The winning contractor put two catenary wires from one end to the other, strapped twin and earth to it above the ceiling and got the job.

Thanks for your inputs guys.

I was thinking along the lines of not having a means of turning on or off the PIR light, but guess you're right, keep it simple and cheap.

Thanks

So true that Steve ain't used tray above ceilings for ages its all round band and catenary wires across the ceilings with the company I sub to. Can't really moan as its keeping me busy had the conversation with the boss before and he just said they wouldn't win the work if he included tray and basket it's a shame really