Power supply for a 5kW (14.6A) multi outdoor A/C - is a dedicated circuit required?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a regulation recommendation that any electrical device greater than 2kw is connected via its own circuit.

Whilst the item may run at lower than this there are times that it would run at or near too it’s max.
No it is not a reg. It is in the on site guide and is someones personal recommendation only.

No it is not a reg. It is in the on site guide and is someones personal recommendation only.
Ok Boris; let’s say that Bs7671 are the regs and the On-site Guide is considered as an influence towards best practice, so if you wish to choose an alternative method feel free, it’s your design not mine. I just think that it is generally easier to follow best practice as saves a lot of unnecessary questions should an issue arise.

Ok Boris; let’s say that Bs7671 are the regs and the On-site Guide is considered as an influence towards best practice, so if you wish to choose an alternative method feel free, it’s your design not mine. I just think that it is generally easier to follow best practice as saves a lot of unnecessary questions should an issue arise.
I have to say I regard the OSG as dumbed down regs and not overly worth looking at.

Below is from their web page , as has been said before they do not make BS 1362 20A fuses, RS have listed it wrong ,
Typical incorrect manufacturers blurb. The 20 amp one is a flex outlet plate with no fuse.

20A Double Pole Control Switches​

The MK Electric Albany Plus range of switches features stylish curved design, the double pole switches are manufactured from the finest materials and maintain their high quality appearance for years to come. The terminals in the back of these 20A switches have a funnel entrance and are upwards facing, to make installation easier.

Below is from their web page , as has been said before they do not make BS 1362 20A fuses, RS have listed it wrong ,

20A Double Pole Control Switches​

The MK Electric Albany Plus range of switches features stylish curved design, the double pole switches are manufactured from the finest materials and maintain their high quality appearance for years to come. The terminals in the back of these 20A switches have a funnel entrance and are upwards facing, to make installation easier.
they aren't fused just rated for 20Amp load

they aren't fused just rated for 20Amp load
yes I agree
The last one of these I saw was spurred off the socket circuit with no OCPD other than the 32A MCB
You can do this , as long as the load is 20Amp or less ( cable needs to be the same as the ring, (remember the fuse is there to protect the cable not the appliance))

You can do this , as long as the load is 20Amp or less ( cable needs to be the same as the ring, (remember the fuse is there to protect the cable not the appliance))

no isolation either other than the MCB ....... poor design, poor installation........ on a shared RCD too