Poxy little job for my neighbour.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jibspark

Electrician
Reaction score
Hi All! :)

ive got to replace a couple of dimmers for my neighbour in the week.

i dont want to do it for free but at the same time its such a small job i dont want to take the pi55!

how much would you charge?

My boys always ensure payment is forthcoming, regardless of how small the job.

The Godfather

As Stevie H says, check those back boxes first. Had a nightmare one once, had to chop a deeper box in, 4" wall, the brick pushed through to other room, new wallpaper, had to be done again. No way of fixing box, ended up well out of pocket. :(BlushingX( :_|

guy next door to me asked me to change his s/o's in kitchen to chrome, said he's seen the ones he wanted in b&q!

told him i'd buy them cos i'd get them cheaper and i'd do it all for

ive warned them about the back boxes, one of them is already a dimmer.

so do you think a tenner in total plus materials?

edit - providing back boxes are ok.

A short while ago i did a favour for an existing customer by going about 4 miles to her flat to fit the links to a hob that the kitchen fitter had no clue about. When asked about payment i said 'just give me a drink' and she handed me 2,

Flip side of the coin - what does your neighbour do for a living and could that be any use to you? Bartering can be a very efficient system.

As Stevie H says, check those back boxes first. Had a nightmare one once, had to chop a deeper box in, 4" wall, the brick pushed through to other room, new wallpaper, had to be done again. No way of fixing box, ended up well out of pocket. :(BlushingX( :_|
same thing happened to me at my sister-in-laws house, sinking a box in and pushed the brick through a newly plastered living room wallX(

Just fit the ones with a deep fronts the ones sf sell fit narrow boxes and bdc sold some made by doyle and tratt that also fit. Bg do one with a conversion plate for narrow boxes. I don't like dimmer switches because you get call backs like pull switches but I suppose they keep us electricians busy.

Batty

Just fit the ones with a deep fronts the ones sf sell fit narrow boxes and bdc sold some made by doyle and tratt that also fit. Bg do one with a conversion plate for narrow boxes. I don't like dimmer switches because you get call backs like pull switches but I suppose they keep us electricians busy.Batty
I had to put in 35mm boxes as she wanted the flush mount sockets and switchesX(

I had to put in 35mm boxes as she wanted the flush mount sockets and switchesX(
I don't like this flat plate stuff. I always use 35 mm boxes on rewires but it is still tight with the flat plate stuff and you have to get boxes dead level. You have to just point the risks out to the customer about chopping deeper boxes in.

Batty

I don't like this flat plate stuff. I always use 35 mm boxes on rewires but it is still tight with the flat plate stuff and you have to get boxes dead level. You have to just point the risks out to the customer about chopping deeper boxes in.Batty
what makes it worse is her boyfriend is a know it all. he has had quite a lot of the walls replastered and is getting most upset at me damaging the plaster as i dig the old boxes out.

what makes it worse is her boyfriend is a know it all. he has had quite a lot of the walls replastered and is getting most upset at me damaging the plaster as i dig the old boxes out.
As they say lifes a *****

Batty

i've just done a job for Magnet and the woman at the end said (to me and the kitchen fitter) here lads have a drink on me, and got two cans of carling out the fridge, one each, i was so embarrassed i took it! lol

High wind damaged my mums roof along with two neighbors, they said if mum gets a roofer them would split the cost. I went along with my cat ladders and repaired all three roofs. One neighbor gave me an out of date can of Skol and the other a small Saga (free) radio. I'm only 33, how rude!! :z