Problem with Storage Heater

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpytam

Reaction score
Hi folks

Just moved into a new house with storage heaters. One of them Creda Model No 79164 doesnt do anything. :_|

The light on the switch doesnt work so replaced the fuse and still no luck. Any suggestions on where to begin to fix this. I've had a look and there is no loose connections.

Its getting cold so any answers would be good

First thing - you have left it on overnight? If you have storage heaters you are likely to be on economy 7 and only have power to them overnight ;)

true,however most living room storage heaters have dual tarrif supply so they can be used at any time,is it your living room you are talking about?Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink

true,however most living room storage heaters have dual tarrif supply so they can be used at any time,is it your living room you are talking about?Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink
Only on new builds over the last 10 years or so. The majority i see do not have this and when replacement/ installation is needed and the landlord is given the option, they go for the cheapest.

Our living room basically has a storage heater with a convector heater bolted onto it. Like you say. It does have 2 feeds. BUT the other 5 are just 'bog standard' storage heaters fed from their own CU on the Economy 7.

On a lot of the storage heaters with two supplies, the second supply is for a fan to boost the heat output during the day.

there will be either a thermal overload that needs resetting or to replace a thermal link which is a lump of solder that melts making the power open cct. It is at the top near the adjuster controls. These go when people drape cloths over the vents to dry them out.

there will be either a thermal overload that needs resetting or to replace a thermal link which is a lump of solder that melts making the power open cct. It is at the top near the adjuster controls. These go when people drape cloths over the vents to dry them out.
It may not be. Could be spur has burned out have seen this a few times. Could be heater is set to low to accept charge seen this once. Maybe connection in consumer unit have seen this a few times. Could be regulator, have replaced a lot. I have never had to replace thermal fuse though.

Batty

Nearly every one i go to, i have to replace the thermal fuse...its regular. Im surprised you dont.

Another thing, is when the electric meters get changed for new ones, they forget to program them for e7..You check by seeing how much you have been charged up to date on your cheaper tariff. if it says