Problems getting fuse seal broken

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
I'm currently involved in a full rewire at the moment and I now need the seal broken to pull the service fuse. I have gone about it in the correct way and asked for permition but I have been told it's illegal and they can't get out until next Monday WTF! I have explained that the installation is in a dangerous way but they still refuse me permission. Where do I stand on this issue?

Call them again. Report it as dangeros and complain about the other person you spoke to.

I'm currently involved in a full rewire at the moment and I now need the seal broken to pull the service fuse. I have gone about it in the correct way and asked for permition but I have been told it's illegal and they can't get out until next Monday WTF! I have explained that the installation is in a dangerous way but they still refuse me permission. Where do I stand on this issue?
should have asked for the meter seal fairies to call round to the property the night before:^O

should have asked for the meter seal fairies to call round to the property the night before:^O
+1. Mate . I'd have kept quite and chopped it. but now there aware I wouldn't touh it as you could get in trouble mate.

+1. Mate . I'd have kept quite and chopped it. but now there aware I wouldn't touh it as you could get in trouble mate.
Normally if the seal was old I would but the customer had his meter changed and all new seals were put on. Knowing my luck I would have been done so I wanted to go down the right path with this one. Typical ain't it, we do things by the book and get penalised for it.

Cut it in suck a way that you can put it back (broken) but it looks complete.

Cut it in suck a way that you can put it back (broken) but it looks complete.
I'm going to call them tomorrow like you suggested at put a complaint in, in my opinion they are not providing a safe service and not upholding their duties. Oh and the other thing which I thought was a bit off is they only send out engineers in this area on Mondays lol

This is one area that really does get on my nerves, my dno know me and I usually do not have this problem they give permission over the phone and log a re seal for the address.

I would have thought that with being Part P registered it would be simple to allow us to cut the seal for safe isolation, however they do not see this as any requirement.

The only way to get around this is to pre book the removal, give them a date and if they still can not get to the property to cut the seal charge them and invoice them.

If they do not pay make loads of noise until they do.

I this case it would help if you say who the DNO is that's refusing to come out, and more importantly, who is the energy supplier if it's not the DNO?

The ones that I have encountered behaving like this are N-Power. They simply refused to come out to upgrade substandard tails from the head to the meter, even when I told them it was dangerous. The operative on the end of the phone just kept repeating "put your request in writing" like a stuck gramaphone record.

At the other end of the scale is our local DNO, Scottish & Southern who I have had dealings with both up here and darn sarf, and they have always been prompt, courteous, professional and efficient.

With experience you will learn which energy suppliers are helpful, and which are not. In the case of the unhelpful ones, you just have to wish for the seal fairy to come the night before. Then after you have done your work you can report that you have found an installation without a seal, and it's then their problem to either come and seal it, or just ignore you, either way you have reported it so covered your @ss

Perhaps a thread like this needs a quick straw poll with opinions of all the different DNO's and energy suppliers attitudes?

I this case it would help if you say who the DNO is that's refusing to come out, and more importantly, who is the energy supplier if it's not the DNO?The ones that I have encountered behaving like this are N-Power. They simply refused to come out to upgrade substandard tails from the head to the meter, even when I told them it was dangerous. The operative on the end of the phone just kept repeating "put your request in writing" like a stuck gramaphone record.

At the other end of the scale is our local DNO, Scottish & Southern who I have had dealings with both up here and darn sarf, and they have always been prompt, courteous, professional and efficient.

With experience you will learn which energy suppliers are helpful, and which are not. In the case of the unhelpful ones, you just have to wish for the seal fairy to come the night before. Then after you have done your work you can report that you have found an installation without a seal, and it's then their problem to either come and seal it, or just ignore you, either way you have reported it so covered your @ss

Perhaps a thread like this needs a quick straw poll with opinions of all the different DNO's and energy suppliers attitudes?
The supplier is n power which in fairness have been helpfull but the problem is edf. They own the equipment so have the final say. I did read somewhere that they have been bought out by a chinease buisness man, maybe people are on edge and sticking to the book at the call centres.

The supplier is n power which in fairness have been helpfull but the problem is edf. They own the equipment so have the final say. I did read somewhere that they have been bought out by a chinease buisness man, maybe people are on edge and sticking to the book at the call centres.
I think your problem in this case is N-Power.

If you approach the DNO and the DNO are not the energy supplier, they won't come out directly, you have to request any visit or work via your energy supplier.

For some reason, N-Power don't seem to want to do this and won't do anything by telephone.

This is one aspect of switching energy supplier that people don't realise, it might be fine when it works, but if you have problems, it can be an uphill battle getting it fixed.

I had exactly the same problem with Talk Talk and a line fault, they really really did not want to instruct Open Reach to come and look at the fault, threatening if the fault is with my internal wiring I would be charged etc. I was glad of the opportunity to go back to BT at a reduced "come back" price to get back to better service.

SSE are very helpful. Working on a job the other day meter was being moved this was an e7 one and it also had a timeswitch which was not being used. I asked if they could change it for a single rate meter and as the customer was with SSE they said they could do it there and then. Now if it had been EDF they would not have been able to do this as Siemens do there metering but this buying your electric from different suppliers is the problem anther government c..k up as far as I am concearned. Also SSE put in meters with isolators so that saves all this faffing around with removing main fuses.

as far as im aware EON will not send a meter operative to isolate. the only ones that will do this is EDF.

Learn from this one not to get the EDF involved at all if you wish to earn a living.

To be honest i just cut them and pull them out......

1- proove who cut the seal and when it was cut

2- proove it was even sealed in the 1st place

dont see the point in getting the supply authority in to do it as when they install the things there connections are as loose as a prostitutes you know what. So what makes them better qualified to pull it than us.......

Yes..... i do call them and ask for it to be sealed once compleated as i put my own little main switch in to cut the power off to DB'S

Its this attitude from the networks that has caused such an increase in "Seal Fairy " activity . You can get no sense out of Central Networks .

If it were me I would just do it and move on.