Push Fits

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could always use the 41 amp red ones, well I do anyway.
cant seem to get them unless i go online, these ones only do up to 2.5mm, dont know why they dont stock more of a range. might have to try cef

Re-wire the whole house ring? Why?

"Use a bulldozer to bury an acorn?"

I only want to lower 3 sockets, just wanted some technical advice on correct use of pushfits, not your thoughts on the state of the wiring at my house thank you.
Calm down, calm down we are only trying to give advice :D

Just as an opinion if you have only one ring main for the entire house, and you are gutting the kitchen, it's an ideal time to provide some 'segregation of circuits' by adding a new circuit for the kitchen, but thats your choice to make. It's your house and I don't care anyway so :p :p:p

Existing ring is on vertical drops so no wiring will be ouside of safe zones.Connections will be made in the existing backboxes, blanking plates fitted, old wall is to be battened out and plasterboarded, so no wet plaster issues.

Spur problem will be dealt with using Ians suggestion of breaking the ring in favour of 2 radials.

Re-wire the whole house ring? Why?

"Use a bulldozer to bury an acorn?"

I only want to lower 3 sockets, just wanted some technical advice on correct use of pushfits, not your thoughts on the state of the wiring at my house thank you.
I still think splitting the ring into two radials is a bodge.

It just seems a shame to totally refurbish a house, but not properly sort out the wiring.

As you say, it's your house. Just don't come and complain if ever you sell it and a surveyor picks up on the state of the electrics and the buyer then beats the price down because he thinks it needs a rewire.

If you really are totally refurbing the place, then there will never be a better time to sort the wiring properly. That's what I did on my last house. As each room was re done, it was re wired. It meant for a while as I worked through the house it was a mixture of old and new, but it was all planned and by the time the whole house was refurbished, it all had new wiring.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Calm down, calm down we are only trying to give advice :D Just as an opinion if you have only one ring main for the entire house, and you are gutting the kitchen, it's an ideal time to provide some 'segregation of circuits' by adding a new circuit for the kitchen, but thats your choice to make. It's your house and I don't care anyway so :p :p:p
Apologies for being a little waspy earlier, bad morning with thick customers! bad day explode

As stated earlier, the new extension is the new kitchen, and has it's own new dedicated ring circuit.

What I am doing is lowering the existing sockets in the old kitchen to be more in keeping with its new use as a study.

There is now very little load on the old ring now the kitchen has gone off it, so 20A radials will cover it.

To rewire the whole house is a little over the top in this situation.

I'de love to see the look on the missus' face after 18 months of building work if I told her the upstairs floors were coming up:_|

My initial concern was using the 20A pushfits and some monkey reinstating the 32A MCB after we move, but going with the 2 radials now seems favourite, so problem solved.

Promise I won't take it out on you again;)

I suppose working on the 32A full load theory, there would be a maximum of 16A down each leg anyway, or does it depend on where in the ring the load is situated.Is it possible for most of the load to favour one leg in the right circumstances
the load does not flow equally through the ring unless the load is perfectly balanced - more current will flow down one leg than the other - ohms law and all that

the load each way will be constantly varying, no real way of working out exactly what will flow & when unless you know exact loads. but either way, it doesnt simply follow that if you have a 20A load, then chances are, it wont be 10A each side.

I still think splitting the ring into two radials is a bodge
Why is it? we are one of the last countries if not the last to get rid of ring finals from the wiring regs.

I still think splitting the ring into two radials is a bodge.Why? I personally think it's a logical, safe solution.

It just seems a shame to totally refurbish a house, but not properly sort out the wiring.

As you say, it's your house. Just don't come and complain if ever you sell it and a surveyor picks up on the state of the electrics and the buyer then beats the price down because he thinks it needs a rewire.

Why would the electrics be in a state? 2 RCD protected radials instead of 32A ring, where's the mess?

If you really are totally refurbing the place,

then there will never be a better time to sort the wiring properly. That's what I did on my last house. As each room was re done, it was re wired. It meant for a while as I worked through the house it was a mixture of old and new, but it was all planned and by the time the whole house was refurbished, it all had new wiring.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Thank you
Answers in red (All this over a couple of wagos eh:pray)

As stated earlier, the new extension is the new kitchen, and has it's own new dedicated ring circuit.

What I am doing is lowering the existing sockets in the old kitchen to be more in keeping with its new use as a study.

There is now very little load on the old ring now the kitchen has gone off it, so 20A radials will cover it.
Didn't realise new kitchen is on new circuit, splitting ring is no problem, as you say load is minimal and 2x20Aradials improves segregation.

I'm currently re-wiring an occupied house. Radials will be going every where except kitchen. It's easier, will provide more circuit segregation, it complies with BS7671, and will help owners to keep living as re-wire progresses.