PV and Battery storage system quote - experts views on the quality of equipment quoted greatly appreciated

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been quoted the following by a local installer based on his looking at a Google maps view. I consume around 8000kWh a year and have a rosemary tiled south facing unshaded roof.

SYSTEM QUOTATION
Description
Supply, Install & Certify an 8.00 kWp grid connected Solar Photovoltaic (PV) system
With 8.70 kWh Battery
Equipment
20 Trina Solar 400W Mono Vertex S Black Frame, White Backsheet panels
1 Solis 8.00 kW 5G Dual Inverter 10 Yr
1 Solis Data Logging stick -WIFI (WIFI or network data point required)
20 panel K2 Inclined roof mounting system
1 OFGEM Approved Single Phase Total Generation Meter
1 Alpha 3kW Inverter & 3 x 2.9kWh Battery (8.7 kWh)
34m Bird Proofing
1 Balance of system incl. DC & AC isolators, armoured cable, MC4 connectors, switches
Delivery to site
Installation
Mechanical & Electrical Installation, Testing,
Commissioning, MCS Certification & documentation.
DNO Application
Scaffolding.
Allow 2-3 days
Sub-Total £ 16,992.99
Vat @ 0% £ 0.00
Total Payable £ 16,992.99

I'd appreciate any views on the quality and applicability of the components.

Solis is fine, K2 frame is fine, not encountered the Alpha battery, but don't understand why they don't install a hybrid Solis inverter with Pylontech or Fox battery pack.

£17k, maybe I should come out of retirement.

Rosemary tile is a twot to fit on, which may explain the price. Personally I decided never to work with the dreadful little sods ever again about 8 years ago. My choice would be to use am in roof mounting system like GSE to avoid any potential issues with the tiles

Thanks very much for the fast response, binky - it seemed expensive to me too and the only other quote I received was for a 5.7kWp JA Solar system with 2 x 3.2kW Pylontech batteries and a Growatt inverter for 10K installed, but I understand you don't rate Growatt.
Its becoming almost impossible to get anyone to quote now so as to get quotes for comparable systems.

I have been quoted the following by a local installer based on his looking at a Google maps view. I consume around 8000kWh a year and have a rosemary tiled south facing unshaded roof.

SYSTEM QUOTATION
Description
Supply, Install & Certify an 8.00 kWp grid connected Solar Photovoltaic (PV) system
With 8.70 kWh Battery
Equipment
20 Trina Solar 400W Mono Vertex S Black Frame, White Backsheet panels
1 Solis 8.00 kW 5G Dual Inverter 10 Yr
1 Solis Data Logging stick -WIFI (WIFI or network data point required)
20 panel K2 Inclined roof mounting system
1 OFGEM Approved Single Phase Total Generation Meter
1 Alpha 3kW Inverter & 3 x 2.9kWh Battery (8.7 kWh)
34m Bird Proofing
1 Balance of system incl. DC & AC isolators, armoured cable, MC4 connectors, switches
Delivery to site
Installation
Mechanical & Electrical Installation, Testing,
Commissioning, MCS Certification & documentation.
DNO Application
Scaffolding.
Allow 2-3 days
Sub-Total £ 16,992.99
Vat @ 0% £ 0.00
Total Payable £ 16,992.99

I'd appreciate any views on the quality and applicability of the components.
My views are get a few other quotes as all installers use or have preference to different brands. Make sure you ask the real important question and that is if your inverter was to fail 3 years in or battery will they replace with new or reconditioned . Read the small print. I have had a few issues over the years and I laugh at warrantys now. They sound and look great when your buying.

Thanks for your advice. I have requested quotes from a further 15 installers but only one has replied, asking for further info, which I provided but have heard no more at the moment.
Anyway, onward and upward and thanks again.

My views are get a few other quotes as all installers use or have preference to different brands. Make sure you ask the real important question and that is if your inverter was to fail 3 years in or battery will they replace with new or reconditioned . Read the small print. I have had a few issues over the years and I laugh at warrantys now. They sound and look great when your buying.
have had warranty issues too when a Samil went bust...

SMA tend to offer a warranty repair rather than a new inverter, Chinese offer new inverter, if they are still available. In reality warranty is through the wholesaler, which is why buying from UK stockist tends to work better. You can buy stuff direct or from Europe, but this can make ife difficult when things go wrong. I never worry abount any warranty over 10 years, I look to see if they offer 20 year extensions, as that means they expect their kit to last that long. However, in 10 years time, the inverters will have moved on terms of performance, so a new design of inverter is probably a better bet.

Think it is a bit OTT to ask for 15 quotes. Anyway it is not just the price quality is important both the installation and the equipment. I think it is important that the inverter and battery have been proven to work together as the BMS is in some way or other is split between them. When you have chosen a couple of likely installers ask to see their work. I had got good rapport with an installer liked the guy very much and believed could get on with him. We went to see a job and it was an external ground array and I spotted the cable going from the array underground through a ducting was opaque white and braided. I asked the guy what sort it was and got told it was a super flexible cable for going through ducting. As I had never heard of this before I queried it on this forum and think it was Binky who pointed out it was SY cable and not suitable for this type of work. I queried this fact with the installer and he never replied. He never got the job. Then the other day quite by accident came across this.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...7C1CF25698137083191D7C1&view=detail&FORM=VIRESo had lucky escape. The importance of checking and the power of forums like this one.

I have received two similar quotes - one for 4kWp with 5kw batteries for £8k and the other for 5.8kWp and 6.4kW batteries For £10k.
Both propose the same make of kit with a Solis inverter capped at 3.68 export. I am now with Octopus Energy and planning to get on the tariff with SEG at 7.5p/kWh (no idea how long that’s going to remain of course).
I assume the larger system may offer an advantage in the winter months/cloudy days? Or would it be a waste of an extra £2k?

Last edited:
size matters, go with the bigger array. As I've told my customers many times, the fixed costs like scaffolding/ MCS cert/ warranty etc etc, don't change for a larger array, so the bigger the system, the more those fixed overheads are watered down and the faster the return on investment.