Q's about Capacitance

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foolios

Reaction score
When a voltage is applied to an insulator, the electrons seek toleave the atoms but cannot do so. However, the electrons are displaced by an amount dependent upon the force applied, the voltage difference.
What is displacing the electrons?

Electrons move through the circuit tobuild up an electrical charge across the gap
If there is a gap, an open circuit, how can electrons be moving at all? There is no last electron to push, it's not going to move into nothingness, so how can the electrons behind it be moving?

If there is a gap, an open circuit, how can electrons be moving at all? There is no last electron to push, it's not going to move into nothingness, so how can the electrons behind it be moving?
Where a gap occurs in a electrical circuit, a capacitor for example, the electrons will build up on one side of the gap. Remember they cannot 'see' the gap.

As the electrons are negatively charged they build up a negative magnetic field. This negative field will then extended across the gap and push the electrons on the other side away from it.

Electrons have a negative charge. Think of magnets as they are easier to picture

If you glue a magnet to the table and then put another magnet of opposite poll close, but not touching you can appreciate there is a force but the magnet (or electrons)are unable to move.

Electrons can line up at a gap. When we rub a balloon against a jumper we are adding or subtracting electrons (I forget which!) that then the balloon has a static electrical charge. It's a similar phenomenon.

someone else will have posted the wiki link whilst I am typing :D

as requested and especially for you pache, ive wrote this word for word :eek: ;)

The electron is an elementary subatomic particle that carries a negative electrical charge.[14] The concept of a quantum of electrical charge had been theorized on several occasions beginning in 1838, including by Irish physicist George Johnstone Stoney in 1874, who introduced the name electron in 1894.[15][4][5] The electron was first identified in 1897 by J.J. Thomson and his team of British physicists.[6][7] These charged particles, together with the protons and neutrons that comprise atomic nuclei, make up atoms. Electron

also forgot this bit :_|

Contents

* 1 Etymology

* 2 History

o 2.1 Discovery

o 2.2 Atomic theory

o 2.3 Quantum mechanics

o 2.4 Particle accelerators

* 3 Characteristics

o 3.1 Classification

o 3.2 Fundamental properties

o 3.3 Quantum mechanics

o 3.4 Virtual particles

o 3.5 Interaction

o 3.6 Atoms

o 3.7 Conductivity

o 3.8 Motion and energy

* 4 Formation

* 5 Observation

* 6 Applications

o 6.1 Industry

o 6.2 Laboratory

o 6.3 Other

* 7 See also

* 8 Notes

* 9 References

* 10 External links

;)

While an electron is undergoing acceleration, it can absorb or radiate energy in the form of photons.
Ahh, so a load actually gets the energy it converts to some other form whether it be light, heat, etc. via these photons?

Does current carry joules to be used as energy or does it emit these photons to provide energy? Or is it the magentic fields that are created by their motion that provides the load what it needs to do it's work? Is it that field that gives power to a load?

Thanks for the replies.

Ahh, so a load actually gets the energy it converts to some other form whether it be light, heat, etc. via these photons? Does current carry joules to be used as energy or does it emit these photons to provide energy? Or is it the magentic fields that are created by their motion that provides the load what it needs to do it's work? Is it that field that gives power to a load?

Thanks for the replies.
What we are now talking about is conservation of energy - it can't be lost only change forms. Joules are a measure of energy and one joule is the work done to produce power of one watt continuously for one second.

P= I*V so current and voltage are multiplied to get the energy - it's a factor of both.

As an aside - we don't know for sure that electrons even exist. We don't even know if they are a wave or a particle! They behave like both under different conditions. All we have observed is their effects. They are far to small to ever see. Once the most emminant scientists said the world was flat.........

As an aside - we don't know for sure that electrons even exist. We don't even know if they are a wave or a particle! They behave like both under different conditions. All we have observed is their effects. They are far to small to ever see. Once the most emminant scientists said the world was flat.........
Once you start getting into quantum physics than the behaviour of electrons goes haywire. You can forget about them 'orbiting' the nucleus of atoms, they can be virtually anywhere in the universe according to their energy levels.

The whole thing is that we will never know for sure as the act of measuring them alters how they behave!

Mess up your head by reading this! :^O

or simultaneously ALIVE....

gonna claw your neck!!!! ]:) :^O :^O
Just don't open the box. Then we'll know for sure that it's dead in a week or so............

(I think it's good I don't post under my real name............)

Just don't open the box. Then we'll know for sure that it's dead in a week or so............(I think it's good I don't post under my real name............)
Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley:^O:^O:^O:^O

Well I am off to Schr

I was going to post about that cat. The best explanation of how the act of measuring sub-atomic particles alters what you are measuring!