Question for the hive mind.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mort2376

The devil's in the details, or the dodgy wiring !
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Customer has a bungalow. He's had it plastered and decorated. He was going to have a heat pump installed but something has happened and that isn't happening now.

He wants to put infra red panel heaters on the ceilings of each room.

700w panels. Each come flexed up. How can I connect them without it looking like a pile of sh1t.

Yes flex through plasterboard into loft, but loft is a pig for access and does that give me "local isolation" for the unit.

Is there a recessed accessory box similar to a fast fix box but deeper where the socket sits in the ceiling but not flush with it ?

I'm open to people's thoughts, opinions and ways they have done them before.

Thanks in advance peeps.

Apparently he's bought thermostats for 2 of them ????????

I hate it when customers buy products they haven't a clue about.

I don't know if these are wireless, Bluetooth, magic or what !!

Standard dry lining box should be fine for a cable across to loft ,/ an isolator next to the panel, but I think I would be inclined to isolate the entire cct, or put isolator in room but say close to doorway where it's less visible.

I take it the panels will be on their own new cct?.

Yeah I replaced the old consumer unit with new rcbo and put smoke detectors in but he wouldn't go for a rewire as out of the budget.

It will be one or 2 new circuits for the heaters. I just don't like the look of a spur unit in the ceiling next to the panel. If it were my house I'd be like wtaf !

I'm thinking maybe flex outlet plates and a 20a / 45a dp switch in the immersion cupboard labeled up which rooms are on which switch.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it too much.

I think there was a box on Dragons Den that would do. All the dragons. Reamed their pants over it. Cannot recall the name though, sorry. It was like a dry liner but deeper and accessories fitted deep down inside it so it accommodates the plug as s well as the socket
I thought there was something. Glad it's not just me 👍

If it was wall mounted you would fit an isolator next to it what difference does the ceiling make?

Final outcome. 2 thermostats one for bedrooms one for living areas. Im cutting fast fix single box behind panel, running 2.5 from each panel back to immersion cupboard. Joining 2.5 twin and earth with 20a (I call them click plug and sockets) to panel heater flex. Blank plate with side flex entry to cover the holes.

2 x jointboxes in immersion cupboard at high level one for each zone. Max load on each zone is 2kw so installing 2 16a circuits. Controls fed via a 13a switched fused spur for local isolation in cupboard.

Now have to put together a twin immersion control with a timer for the off peak as its being converted to an off peak supply but only 1 board and so doing the main immersion via a hidden away timer to turn on and off at off peak times.

Boost immersion to be controlled via a 1-3 hr boost time control.

Ill post pics of the final job.