QUIET

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other two main electrical forums are not quiet.
Group builder runs these forums for profit and should have no need to beg for funds.
I help run and fund another unrelated forum that uses the same paid for software as they use here.
Running cost including database hosting cost very little indeed each year.

I’ve been here 14 years and have about 14,000 posts. I have noticed that the 'heart' seems to have diminished somewhat since its sale. It’s a different dynamic now compared with the days of Sidey, Evan Electric, Tony etc. I partly blame YouTube and all the wannabe sparks following their "heroes" who the think are the dogs back wheels because they drilled a hole on an angle, found a fault with a meter, promote their ‘favourite/best tool in the world ever' since the are paid to, advertise it. I prefer people who can strip a cable with just a pair of snips and not 7 different tools. Maybe it’s me, maybe it’s the post-op painkillers

Just my morphine induced rantings

is it closing then? I have just paid for another year!
it goes in picks and troughs
for some time it was all solar panels, then it was EV chargers, now its getting back to real faults and burnt out consumer units,

the forum is safe for now. It was sold becuase of the costs and time of running the forum, the group that have bought it run numerous forums, so I would guess they know how to make enough money from it.

is it closing then? I have just paid for another year!
it goes in picks and troughs
for some time it was all solar panels, then it was EV chargers, now its getting back to real faults and burnt out consumer units,
We are not closing. Usually in the summer forums go slow. Especially just before school goes back in session.

As Binky first said, forums are often quiet in the holiday season.

I always look at forums as being a bit like a "social club" people can pop in have a chat and go when they please, some stay and become regulars, some do not stay and sadly some get invited to leave.

Some members are more helpful than others, some just pop in a couple of times a year, say hello and walk out again, some are always helpful, all are welcome.

Back to us:
You can not make anyone post on a forum, sometimes a post has no answer, sometimes a post is odd, sometimes a "newbie" will come in, ask what to them is a straight forward question and receive a torrent of replies which are abrasive.

Moving forward:
Often it is forgotten that most of us are "in the trade" and many folk come here looking for advice, they do not come here to be told "you have no idea how pricing works, you have not taken into consideration travel time, the persons knowledge" (I could go on) Put yourself in their shoes, you go to a place for advice and all you get is what to you is abuse, would you want to stay?

Yes, you can't answer a post that has not been written, but I also notice even when fellow sparks ask for advice, it is not always helpful. e.g.

Hi guys, I have a problem with this starter, it has failed, (Picture) does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Yes, that is a 12345 starter

Oh thanks, I will search for one

Tell me, how does that help? The OP already knows what the starter is, the actual question was "Does anyone know where I can get a replacement?" to which the answer is no (in this case) Why could you not suggest that starter is obsolete and unless a decent 2nd hand one can be found, it should be replaced. All the OP has been told is what he already knew.

All I am asking is that you all be more positive and to not be so negative, and before you complain, look in the mirror. Why not even tell a joke?

Ok then, joke

How many electricians ( I mean PROPER ones not zero to hero YouTube wannabes ) does it take to screw in a light bulb ( yes I said bulb, deal with it ) on a building site?

Answer. ONE as he/she/it/they/them hold it and the entire job revolves around he/she/it/they/them

Non electricians need to realise that not only are we the bringers of light, we can also take it away just as quickly

Some of this post has been brought to you by Codeine 🤮

they do not come here to be told "you have no idea how pricing works, you have not taken into consideration travel time, the persons knowledge" (I could go on) Put yourself in their shoes, you go to a place for advice and all you get is what to you is abuse, would you want to stay?

so what would you like? reply stating 'you're right, that is a 30 minutes job and should only cost you £50 inc parts. clearly they are ripping you off'

or the truth of their expectations are not realistic and far from how it works in the real world

Moving forward:
Often it is forgotten that most of us are "in the trade" and many folk come here looking for advice, they do not come here to be told "you have no idea how pricing works, you have not taken into consideration travel time, the persons knowledge" (I could go on) Put yourself in their shoes, you go to a place for advice and all you get is what to you is abuse, would you want to stay?

Ermmmm.... ? 🤔

Its also true that those who are not in the trade, often just join to get an answer to a DIY question, and have little or no reason to stay once they have had their answer..

e.g. All they wanted to do was get the replacement two-way switch or light fitting working again after they got the switched and permanent lives messed up.. So no point in hanging around reading posts about; safe zones, or cable sizing for remote garden buildings, or new amendment publications, or control gear for faulty emergency lights, or best make of panels and inverter for a proposed solar installation, or drive-by cowboy cheap satisfactory EICR's for dodgy landlords under £50.. etc.. etc.. etc..

[ Bit like a visit to the doctors.. only go when needed.. but avoided the rest of the time... ]

It is probably only those "In the trade" or DIYers doing a "major refurb project" who would have any need to re-visit any forum on a more frequent basis?

And it is also very common for numerous folk to visit one or more forums, posting questions that they have already decided what answer they are looking for.. And they dislike being told that their understanding of the costs to design and install some wiring alteration/addition to fail safe in the event of a fault is very poor... As they know it is easy to clip a bit of cable and join three wires L,N & E to make something work.... So they don't generally hang around if no-one says, Yes your idea is good... go ahead and break the ring and extend one half to the shed with 25m of 1.5mm 3-core SWA from Wickes, (forget the glands just use PVC tape around the armour before pushing it into the socket.).

It could also be suggested that if a competent, qualified, experienced person, who has invested time and money to obtain their qualifications, Build their business, Gain new customers year on year, Keep up-to-date with repeated new additions/amendments, Jump through hoops to maintain membership with one of the recognised trades bodies etc....
Chooses to share their knowledge free-of-charge, on any forum, just to try and help others, BUT... then gets their knuckles wrapped for being open honest truthful.... Would you want to stay???

It is a two-way balance...
It is no good answering stupid, unrealistic questions with pretend positive answers, just to try and keep "new members" coming back to the forum... As if we should... then it is quite likely that more of the regular experienced members will just drift away!!

Back in the early years of the forum.. (pre 2013 when you joined), I never recall any 'tip-toe', 'soft-stepping', around giving accurate, factually correct answers to any members, (old or new), healthy debate and discussion is a very good thing in my opinion.. and the membership grew during this no-nonsense type of answers to posts..

Maybe its just a social change thing where forums are becoming "old-hat"??
Progress and all that?
Some of us older members can remember much earlier communications technologies when...
Only some of your mates had a land-line-phone at home..
The only mobile phones were Car-Phones..
All mail was a bit of paper + envelope + stamp..
Mobile phones were JUST phones..
"Snake" was the most exciting game to play when phones became a bit more high tech..
Text messages / WhatsApp were just figments of an over excited brain of what the future holds..

It is no good answering stupid, unrealistic questions with pretend positive answers, just to try and keep "new members" coming back to the forum... As if we should... then it is quite likely that more of the regular experienced members will just drift away!!

Back in the early years of the forum.. (pre 2013 when you joined), I never recall any 'tip-toe', 'soft-stepping', around giving accurate, factually correct answers to any members, (old or new), healthy debate and discussion is a very good thing in my opinion.. and the membership grew during this no-nonsense type of answers to posts..
The forum was always intended for professional electricians, not diyers. Those who have asked questions in a reasonable way have been treated quite fairly most if the time, some have even become regulars and very knowledgeable over the years, such as our friendly vet @Apache.

I'm in the trade and find this forum the best for getting answers to problems and getting advice. I personally dont tend to jump on the "am I paying too much" type of questions as most of the time you only get half the information so you can't make a reasonable call.

Everything goes quiet at this time of year. It's holiday time, people aren't wanting electrical work unless it's part of a big project that was started before the summer or its an emergency.

That's why we allow for these quiet periods. It allows us to do work on our own properties, catch up on doing accounts, paperwork, even some CPD.

I book my holidays for end of August so I get a break before the rush starts with the can you fit us in before Christmas starts.

Has Facebook and social media changed the way forums are used ? Yes without a doubt. There are so many open access Sparky groups on Fbook and next door.com.

Does that bother me ? No. Do I use them ? Occasionally I like to chip in, but and I say this with caution, it's only going to take 1 comment on a group to cause some diyer to get injured and someone's gonna end up in court.

Give me a controlled forum like this one that's has areas just for professionals and I'll be here till I pass away.