Rabbits (again)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi patch,

I've got 2 rabbits and whilst cleaning one of them out noticed some beetles in their hutch but with these beetles were some miniature marble looking things. Are these baby beetles ? And are they dangerous to the rabbits in any way. As I've heard about the possibility of them laying their eggs near the rabbits bum could be dangerous to the bunnies.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Matt

Hi patch,I've got 2 rabbits and whilst cleaning one of them out noticed some beetles in their hutch but with these beetles were some miniature marble looking things. Are these baby beetles ? And are they dangerous to the rabbits in any way. As I've heard about the possibility of them laying their eggs near the rabbits bum could be dangerous to the bunnies.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Matt
Flies (blue & greenbottles) lay eggs on rabbits bottoms and can hatch into maggots and cause problems.

I am unaware of any rabbit problems caused by beetles! I would try to remove as many as you can when you clean the hutch. Once ALL bedding removed running a blowtorch around the corners is good simple way of killing the eggs of all sorts of creepy crawlies. Take care!

:D

Nice one thanks patch. When it's really hot I've noticed a few flies around the hutch and tbh I don't ever look at the rabbits bum and am worried if the flies hatch And I don't notice. The rabbits let us and kids stroke them but don't like being lifted up so what's the best way to check and what happens if maggots do hatch on their bum. Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbivores/health/flystrike.phpits worse for long hair rabbits as feces can stick to there fur, gets worse as they get older.

girlfrends rabbits dont like being picked up either in fact all they do like is the garden and getting fed (suits me) but some times you just have to grab them
There's some good info in the link but some absolute carp too.

Eg:

The article recommends the natural plant based product Xenex Ultra Spot On (made by Genitrix) as a preventative. The product is applied every 2 weeks and is formulated from coconut oil triglycerides.
It actually contains Permethrin a strong insecticide!

http://www.genitrix.co.uk/2008datasheets/DS026_01Xenex%20Ultra%20Spot%20On.pdf

:D

It does work, the traditional product being 'Rearguard'