Radial final circuit extend

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyp

Gold Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit of clarification requested please.

In the garage I have a 20A device serving 1 double socket (2.5mm2 cable). I want to add a 2nd double socket. I know I can spur off the existing socket but the CU is exactly in the middle of the two sockets so it would mean less cable on the wall if I came direct from the CU for both sockets. Is this acceptable? Is it still classed as a spur? Or is this classed as a new circuit?

Thanks,

Last edited:
All cables connected to the same protective device are part of the same circuit.

A radial circuit can be extended, and/or branched from any suitable point along the existing circuit, including terminations at the CU.

A type A RCD?
Good point. I'll have to check. I think it might be an AC on the main CU. There is also an RCD in the garage so that's something to check.

If I had to change the RCD would that come under as being notifiable? I'm trying to get may head around what is and isn't notifiable.

Thanks

Good point. I'll have to check. I think it might be an AC on the main CU. There is also an RCD in the garage so that's something to check.

If I had to change the RCD would that come under as being notifiable? I'm trying to get may head around what is and isn't notifiable.

Thanks

So 2 RCDs in series ?

Thanks

Some points you may want to consider are:-

If it was a like-for-like replacement due to the RCD being faulty then that is not notifiable..

If you had to replace a faulty AC type RCD it would be sensible to replace it with an equivalent rating Type A device.

If the overcurrent rating of the protective device, and the residual tripping current, and any time-delay characteristics of the RCD are identical, then other than the short length of additional cable you are adding, the overall circuit characteristics are pretty much unchanged..

You are not adding a new circuit which would be notifiable.. And work in a garage is not notifiable..

There is nothing within Approved Document P saying that replacing a protective device is notifiable..
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a802da7ed915d74e622ceed/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

If you are a member of a trades body able to self certify & notify part P work, then if in doubt you could easily notify any work that may not actually need notification..

But as various aspects of Part-P are a bit vague and open to debate... Unless you choose to use unauthorised logoed paperwork, it is very unlikely anyone would ever question or investigate the work you have done or pursue any legal action.

At the end of the day it is your call...

Some points you may want to consider are:-

If it was a like-for-like replacement due to the RCD being faulty then that is not notifiable..

If you had to replace a faulty AC type RCD it would be sensible to replace it with an equivalent rating Type A device.

If the overcurrent rating of the protective device, and the residual tripping current, and any time-delay characteristics of the RCD are identical, then other than the short length of additional cable you are adding, the overall circuit characteristics are pretty much unchanged..

You are not adding a new circuit which would be notifiable.. And work in a garage is not notifiable..

There is nothing within Approved Document P saying that replacing a protective device is notifiable..
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a802da7ed915d74e622ceed/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

If you are a member of a trades body able to self certify & notify part P work, then if in doubt you could easily notify any work that may not actually need notification..

But as various aspects of Part-P are a bit vague and open to debate... Unless you choose to use unauthorised logoed paperwork, it is very unlikely anyone would ever question or investigate the work you have done or pursue any legal action.

At the end of the day it is your call...
Thats very good info. Thank you.

I'd like to get to the point of joining a trades body but still at the beginning here.
Thanks for your help.

Thats very good info. Thank you.

I'd like to get to the point of joining a trades body but still at the beginning here.
Thanks for your help.

I would guess that if you provided a Minor Works Certificate based on the model forms in BS7671 with a description of works something like..

"Replace faulty RCD and add one additional socket in garage to circuit number 'XYZ' from garage CU"
Include all relevant test results and serial number(s) of appropriate test meter(s)...

Then your back will be covered... Issue copy of certificate and invoice to customer...

As long as you have covered ALL of your costs then "Jobs-A-Good-Un"

Back to basics..
You are NOT doing a rewire..
You are NOT doing a CU change..
You are NOT altering Kitchen / Utility socket circuits..
It's a Garage.. NOT a regular inhabited room of a dwelling!!

So.. Just make sure that ALL work you do will not leave the installation more dangerous than before you started.