Radial Or Ring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Reaction score
I'm going to be running a dedicated circuit for just a washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher.

I want to just run a 20A radial for this. (10m cable max) With all of them going at once, would this be enough?

Whenever I try and find out ratings of white goods I mainly just get the kWh a cycle uses.

Why only 20A?

If your set on wanting a radial use 4mm & put in a 32A circuit, gives you scope for future expansion of the circuit.

One of those things where I'll have a reel of 4mm t&e in my van for a year again

20a radial is unlikely to work with all the appliances running at once.

Personally I would 4mm radial on a 32A MCB, but I can understand is you don't want to do this Ash, although once you get used to 4mm you might find that it's not in the van for long.

One of those things where I'll have a reel of 4mm t&e in my van for a year again

Just buy 10m of 4mm t&e then
Many wholesalers still have the option to purchase cable by the meter if you are absolutely sure you wont need a full reel. Even available on line if your local wholesaler will not do cut lengths. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Twin_and_Earth/index.html 4.0mm T&E £1.50 per meter. With VAT & postage still under £25.00. Probably work out more economical in both time & money rather than messing around with a short ring. With regard to the overall loading, as Kerching suggests, when the heating elements are on the appliances with be 10A+ each. As most dishwashers & washing machines just have a cold feed that has to be heated up and I very much doubt if any of the appliances only have a 5A fuse in their plug.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Don't forget that 4mm cable may possibly be under rated for use with a 32A MCB, depending on installation method.  You may need a 6mm (!!!) radial if the cable runs through an insulated wall, even if in contact with the plasterboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I'll go with 4mm. It's only a very short distance running free under kitchen counters, 6mm would be overkill

I ran a 2.5 radial in for my washing machine, then the mrs decided she wanted the dishwasher beside it so ran in another, rather than use up 2 ways in my already overpopulated board I decided to link them both to my OS socket and make a ring of the 3 of them, bit of a bodge as I wanted my OS socket on its own, but still no big issue if any item trips out as they have all got DP sw/fused spurs on them so can be seperately isolated,

and they are not crucial items.

Think I'll go with 4mm. It's only a very short distance running free under kitchen counters, 6mm would be overkill
Make sure, with 4mm that you use sockets with a decent amount of room to get the cables in............with these Volex designer things in the photo you struggle to get 2 x 2.5mm in unless you don't mind copper showing. TBH I've been countersinking the square hole a bit so the insulation sits under.................spurring off is a pain i.e. 3 cores. Using 4mm here would be grief! 

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z346/clicon357/85/PC090036.jpg

Sockets that you cannot get the cables in...Makes you wonder who designs the crap.... How do they get it past the british standards people?? I suspect they are no more than a money making scam now though...

john

Latest posts