RCBO needed or not???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Guys,House CU is just below ceiling Height, 6mm Garage Supply disappears into ceiling, along the joists and out of the bedroom wall, Clipped to exterior wall, into a JB in the SHED, Then inside alont the top og the shed wall, out through the shed wall, into A length of Round PVC Conduit, and into the Garage wall and directly into the Garage CU where it enters the garage.

:)
So none of the feed cable is buried. I would have 100mA TD Rcd house end in seperate consumer unit with 32 amp Mcb and 30mA Rcd main switch consumer unit garage end.

One thing, you say garage supply is clipped direct outside, not T&E is it as this is NOT UV resistant?...

One thing, you say garage supply is clipped direct outside, not T&E is it as this is NOT UV resistant?...
I know Mate (it is T&E), This was done years ago, and the section that it is in, never gets any Sun. :|

As I explained above, There is a JB in the shed.

I received low IR readings on the Supply, and Narrowed the offending piece, that went from the Shed to Garage, B.I.L replaced that section with new, and the results are bang on the money (>500Mohms).

Flipping Heck,

There's a Price on those 100 A 100ma Time Delayed RCD s.

And that is without an Enclosure & MCB, The tails, Henly etc. :eek:

TW/E is pretty tough I replaced a bit just after xmas that had been about forty years on a overhead the fixings had gone but cable was in fair condition for age. Tw/e was always used on overheads before swa got cheaper.

More so Flexi Stranded, rather than Solid Core T&E. :)

(Also found a s/o FULL of water in Garage, so done away with that -
got one much better than that

IP rated light switch inside a building, feeding external floodlight.

remove switch, and it was been full of water, and it still coming through SWA

outside flood is approx 6mtr on a pole. SWA (approx 12-14mtr) runs from this switch, along inside, then vertically up, into a galv thru box, flex out other end into flood

water has leaked in by flex gland, run through SWA, filled switch, then SWA, then galv box (still partly full when i opened it)

needless to say, SWA was replaced

What do you guys think of "Chint" 100ma Time Delayed RCDs? ( I know they're Chinese Imports)...

What do you guys think of "Chint" 100ma Time Delayed RCDs? ( I know they're Chinese Imports)...
Can't be any worse than Wylex. I have used a few of the garage consumer units made in china and they seem ok and good quality for the money.

OK.

So - I`m obviously waaaaaay wrong with my 3x difference. Fine - my bad.

BUT....... Unless I`m missing something REALLY flippin` important, a TT installation MUST have 30mA protection on ALL circuits - or am I wrong again?

If I haven`t totally lost it, someone want to tell me how I safely discriminate RCDs on a TT with an outbuilding I want to NOT take out the upstream RCD??

............KME

Can't be any worse than Wylex. I have used a few of the garage consumer units made in china and they seem ok and good quality for the money.

If I haven`t totally lost it, someone want to tell me how I safely discriminate RCDs on a TT with an outbuilding I want to NOT take out the upstream RCD??

............KME
In a nutshell, That is what I was asking. :p

1st protective device TD RCD circa 100mA, or 30mA if required.

Split this into 2 supplies via Henleys.

Supply house via instantaneous RCD devices as appropriate.

Supply to outbuildings via MCB to local CU, then outbuilding supplies via 30mA instantaneous RCD.

Split 2 ways at Henleys.

Instantaneous devices selected to give appropriate selectivity/discrimination etc. as required in both locations.

That is treat each as separate installs.

P.S. (note the caps) NOT getting into exporting earths etc. etc. etc. SORT THAT OUT YOURSELF!

bad day explode

:good night:

So, if I understand you correctly:

You`ll happily supply a TT submain with a 100mA(s) Residual device?

Cos` I don`t think that complies. Or have I had too much of me black stuff???

So, if I understand you correctly:You`ll happily supply a TT submain with a 100mA(s) Residual device?

Cos` I don`t think that complies. Or have I had too much of me black stuff???
Wasn't that the way that TTs were done before, Mart?

100ma then onto 30ma ?

KME,

Believe it does, for a sub main >32A, as long as the cable routes don't require 30mA protection & you protect the final ccts with 30mA.

Will check, but PG (NICEIC AE) passed one for me last yr like that!

I know Mr. G. Nice guy. Then I`m gonna plead alcohol stupidity! My brain is currently telling me that EVERY circuit on a TT has to be 30mA. Ignore me - too much booze. Off to bed now. Night all.

I know Mr. G. Nice guy. Then I`m gonna plead alcohol stupidity! My brain is currently telling me that EVERY circuit on a TT has to be 30mA. Ignore me - too much booze. Off to bed now. Night all.
You need MORE booze!!!

if you can still string together the words..

TT

ma

then you must still be far to sober...

when you start saying a TT must have a separate Earth rod on every final circuit AND get an Ra of 0.35ohms at each rod ..

THEN you have had tooo much boozy...

:p :eek:

GuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinness