RCD FCU wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkJ

Reaction score
Hi All

I was wiring up an RCD protected fused connection unit. It is a Volex VT1092 unit.

The line and neutral for the feed and load are clearly marked and give me no trouble.

However there is a terminal marked with the conventional earth symbol and another terminal close by marked with the letters SE which looks like it could be an earth terminal.

The wiring diagram on the documentation that came with the unit is a scanned image that has been reduced to the size of a postage stamp and is illegible even with a magnifying glass.

Has anyone come across SE before?

I

Put a meter across earth terminal and SE is it a Switched earth.If so connect link for continuity. Carry out rcd test earth leakage.

Hi AllI was wiring up an RCD protected fused connection unit. It is a Volex VT1092 unit.

The line and neutral for the feed and load are clearly marked and give me no trouble.

However there is a terminal marked with the conventional earth symbol and another terminal close by marked with the letters SE which looks like it could be an earth terminal.

The wiring diagram on the documentation that came with the unit is a scanned image that has been reduced to the size of a postage stamp and is illegible even with a magnifying glass.

Has anyone come across SE before?

I

Sorry Sparkj It is a combined RCD/FCU single pattress unit.

Googled it couldnt get any details yet.on ebay in Polish.

Back to suggestion use meteron connections.

How to wire a Volex VT1092 RCD protected fused connection unit - these units are Made by "Electrium Sales Ltd" who make them in B&Q branded. They also make them for companies such as, Crabtree, Wylex, Volex accessories and Siemens:

In small font that for electrical safety the two earth connectors "E" and "SE" should be linked together. It the goes on to say "When using product for clean earth facility no link wire is required". Whatever that means?
I thank You. :D

i do believe that the link was mentioned by Bassman?

Thanks for your input guys.

I will link the two terminals together. It wouldn't hurt the manufacturer to put a few words of explanation and guidance on the product sheet.

Thanks for clearing up the doubt in my mind.

Amazing how manufacturers can still manage to confuse us, where the hell do they get SE from ? I can understand Sparkj checking it out, you see that and wonder if you are doing the right thing .

Deke

Separated Earth, more commonly known as a clean earth. Used in Data, Hi-Fi and general IT . The body or/and contaminants are connected to the 'normal' earth. The clean connection is connected to the equipment and would run back to the main earth bar or rod completely separate of any other connections, so as not to pick up any 'noise' or spikes.

I E-mailed the company for confirmation. and they Replied with the following... (Plus I have a Clearer pic for you Guys - Highlighted in the Red, rectangular box)...

Basically the two points are separate so that a clean earth can be used if required (i.e computers etc..), in the instance that a clean earth is not required the two earth points are to be connected with earth cable.

VT1092Instructions.jpg

Hi,

I have had the same trouble with a volex RCD unit. I couldn't read the wiring diagram either. I assumed that SE meant Supply Earth.

The RCD unit seems to work ok but I couldn't get a valid reading when I carried out an Earth Loop test.

Hi,I have had the same trouble with a volex RCD unit. I couldn't read the wiring diagram either. I assumed that SE meant Supply Earth.

The RCD unit seems to work ok but I couldn't get a valid reading when I carried out an Earth Loop test.
Hello andgreen...

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

welcome.... why not go and introduce yourself proper? :x :Y:Y:Y

Hi,I have had the same trouble with a volex RCD unit. I couldn't read the wiring diagram either. I assumed that SE meant Supply Earth.

What exactly did you connect to each of the earth terminals?

Have you broken the continuity of the earth?

:eek:

if you connected the supply cpc to one and the load cpc to the other without a link you wont get a valid reading, and wont have a earth on the load either!