RCD tripping after lightning storm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a whole street with the same problem

RCD tripping after storm each council house had same problem, local PME pole stuck by lightning.

All the houses had MEMERA 2000 consumer units with RCD main switch, had to replace 25 units

We had a whole street with the same problemRCD tripping after storm each council house had same problem, local PME pole stuck by lightning.

All the houses had MEMERA 2000 consumer units with RCD main switch, had to replace 25 units
Blimy!!! :eek: :^O

You ain't one of them storm chasers are you 'CT'?

follow the lightning...

mail shot of business cards along whole street of houses...

wait for the calls to come in!! ;)

mind you I bet it gets boring after you have replaced the 5th one? :|

I had this a year or so ago and eventually it turned out that the fax/ansafone had been burt to a crisp, didnt even think of checking this at the time, it was only when I went to send a fax that it was discovered.

Just goes to show that we dont always think of everything.

Minus one scoob for me. :(

No abulance chasing is my thinmg, nailing my buisness card to the front of a recent house fire, with a note saying call me for free quote!

Right then............. went back today to replace the CU. Did a quick test on the RCD & it failed (didnt trip)

Started taking the wires out the old CU & one of the old fuses had what I thought was a ring circuit connected to it. Did the r1, r2 & rn test & only the r2 had continuity.

Decided to put the 2 lives in seperate RCBO's for now.

Got the rest of the CU up & running, used all RCBO's, & then found when I switched the upstairs landing light on (2 way sw) the RCBO tripped. Took the light down & found no earth but there was an earth at the downstairs & upstairs switches. Did a cont test between the earth at the sw & the neutral at the light & there was 170 ohms. There was no neutral at the upstairs switch so it must been linked from somewhere in the loft but I wasnt able to get up there today. Disconnected the sw live from the upstairs sw & RCBO didnt trip so I think there might be a problem in the loft ?? but....

There is still the problem with the kitchen sockets, tripping the RCBO every time you plug in an appliance. My megger wouldnt even do a Zs on these sockets, just kept saying 'trp' & when I did the RCD test it didnt trip.

Started taking sockets off the wall & got about half way round the kitchen & did a Zs test & the megger read 35 ohms (TT earthing) Is this too high ? because all the other circuits were reading below 1 ohm.

Did the RCD test & all was fine.

So.. I'm left with about 10 sockets disconnected downstream but not left live & I had to leave.

Customer now has half the sockets working in her kitchen.

Could this be related to the problem with the landing light, if maybe there was a borrowed neutral from the sockets for the light & there was an E-N fault on the sw live ?

Blimin long post - sorry - Any suggestions ?

I think I should do an IR test on the remaining sockets not connected at present. Did an IR test before starting, it read about 60M but I didnt think it was anything to worry about.