Recessed 13A socket for behing a flat screen tv.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I do quite a lot of fitting flat screen tv's on peoples walls, but todays one presented me with a problem.

These tv's are getting thinner and thinner, and to match that the brackets to hang them on the wall are also getting thinner and thinner.

So today I fitted the bracket on the back of the tv and it was immediately obvious the gap between the tv and the wall was less than the thickness of the 13A mains plug.

In between a rock and a hard place, all I could think of was recessing a standard 13A socket.

It was a concrete block wall dry lined with studs and plasterboard, so by screwing a piece of wood to the the wall, then the back box, then the 13A socket, the front face of the socket ended up recessed about 10mm back from the face of the wall which gave just enough clearance once the tv's 13A plug was inserted.

Can anyone suggest a better solution? I'm thinking a floor socket flush mounted in the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
why not fit a switched fuse outlet CJS
That would do, apart from needing an electrician every time the tv goes wrong. Okay if the tv has a plug in mains lead, but in this case it had a captive mains lead.

I was also thinking along the lines of a much smaller socket than a 13A socket, possibly like the old clock sockets?

Last edited by a moderator:
can you get a 1gang floor box?

but how much strength would you be taking out of a block wall?!?!?!?!

I cant think of anything for a block wall Dave,

probably quite a few options for stud walls though.

i would have thought sfcu at low level and a flex outlet plate would be the best option,

panel mount IEC320 socket cut into a blank plate, and then use right angled IEC320 plug? Would have to be feed via fused spur though and might require deep backbox.

Or even cable mount IEC320 socket feed via flex from fused spur. Tye wrap to the mounting bracket somewhere

Some are so close to the wall you havnt got a chance my mates LED TV is so close you can hardly see behind it, let along plug something in!

Some are so close to the wall you havnt got a chance my mates LED TV is so close you can hardly see behind it' date=' let along plug something in![/quote']So how is it connected? Wires just hanging down the wall, which kind of spoils the look.I feel there is an opportunity here for some manufacturer to come up with a recessed connection system for at least a 13A socket and aerial / satellite connection.

connector blocks :innocent :run :^O

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:38 ----------

fused switched spur remote to the tv and a flex outlet behind the tv to onnect tv cable to that way an electriccian wouldnt neccessarily be needed everytime as the spur would kill the feed to tv outlet so cable could be unterminated. ;)

mmmm,

dont fancy trying to hold up a flat screen with one hand while trying to tighten the terminals with the other, while making sure the cables are pushed home with my other hand, and lining up the bracket with my fourth one,

:|

I am know expert on flat screen tv but the limited ones I have seen have all been conected with an iec lead so surly Switched fused spur

unit with IEC lead wired to it posibly via an Flex outlet plate should solve the problem

I am know expert on flat screen tv but the limited ones I have seen have all been conected with an iec lead so surly Switched fused spur unit with IEC lead wired to it posibly via an Flex outlet plate should solve the problem
Some are, but this Toshiba I fitted a couple of days ago had a captive mains lead.

And it takes at least 2 to actually lift the set into position, plug in all the wires, then lift it onto the bracket.