Replace Wall Socket With Wall Light...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ulp

Reaction score
New here, So HELLO! :D

I have a wall socket high up the wall (Feature wall) from someone that mounted tv from before... 

Well it's now not needed and standing out like a sore thumb... 

I bought a wall light to replace / make it look a bit better than how it is... 

Thinking I'd like to wire in a remote dimmer to control it remotely as it's not wired to any other switch of course..

Any suggestions about the device I'm looking for? something that sits in with the wiring behind the wall light..

I have a few photos that maybe better explain. but wont let me post yet as i'm newbie. 

Anyway thanks for looking and hopefully someone can help! 

Cheers!

I will post these pics shortly when I get 10 posts! 

OPIrk9R.jpg

f29R5nM.jpg

YCa9weq.jpg

SDhF6WY.jpg

C3o946D.jpg

It's not quite that simple.

The socket is wired as part of a ring main probably on a 32A circuit breaker.

So what you need is s Fused connection unit (FCU) to go in place of the 13A socket, with a 3A fuse in it. that can then feed the light.

Which would be fine if the light had a switch built in. You can fet an FCU with a switch if that's any good, but not very convenient,.

Problem still remains mounting the wall light flush against wall without the FCU or socket protruding out of the wall..

Any way to wire all interior within the wall socket? 

Then to some how wire in some sort of wireless remote dimmer...

Or am I wasting my time and should look at an easy alternative? 

As Dave has said what ever you do you will have to replace the socket with a fused spur & drop the fuse to a 3amp if you want to power the light fitting.

Looks like dot & dab boarding, so down at the TV level find the ring legs going up to the socket &  put in the fused spur there.

Where you have located the fused spur you could then locate a receiver connected to the fused spur & connect  1mm T/E to the receiver & fish it up to where the socket was. wireless switch could go anywhere then.

Or

Use wago connectors to terminate the ring legs in their current location & cover with a blanking plate, then in turn cover this with a picture.

Or 

Get a wall bracket for your TV.

light looks like something issued by the military.......................nice shade of olive drab.

Looks like you have some speaker cables to use as a pull through tucked under the back box

As Dave has said what ever you do you will have to replace the socket with a fused spur & drop the fuse to a 3amp if you want to power the light fitting.

Looks like dot & dab boarding, so down at the TV level find the ring legs going up to the socket &  put in the fused spur there.

Where you have located the fused spur you could then locate a receiver connected to the fused spur & connect  1mm T/E to the receiver & fish it up to where the socket was. wireless switch could go anywhere then.

Or

Use wago connectors to terminate the ring legs in their current location & cover with a blanking plate, then in turn cover this with a picture.

Or 

Get a wall bracket for your TV.

light looks like something issued by the military.......................nice shade of olive drab.

Looks like you have some speaker cables to use as a pull through tucked under the back box

Cheers for these suggestions!

It seems there's no easy quick fix like I imagine there might. 

I've just went ahead and wired it into a plug with 3A fuse, mounted it just below the socket and plug it in there above...

Can see the socket and plug above, but it'll do for now... Having it installed and looking at it now I'm not sure I even want the thing there now  :D

Any other 'sleek' ideas i could do with this can anyone think? 

What about a timer fcu?

TVs on walls are the worst idea unless they are at the correct height!

Nice amp BTW. ;)
Another question... want it and the skybox stored in the unit below but remote signal wont get through the door... Ideas? 

could prolly set up some magic eye setup for skybox, but not sure with Amp.

And cheers! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Re the sky box, plug in a Sky TV link.  It's meant for controlling a sky box from another room, but will work just as well with the sky box in a cupboard and the tv link plugged directly into the sky box. Then just have it's little IR sensor stuck somewhere it can be seen.

If it's a really modern sky box they dropped the RF sockets so you will also have to buy an I/O replicator to plug into the sky box.