replacing garage cu

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi again Ian Funny enough i did buy an earth rod and clamp set from screwfix few weeks ago ! should be setup for electricfix at screwfix soon save money !
Get an account at a local wholesalers, after your face is known you'll get a better discount than the prices at either of the above.

Thanks for your help guys really helpfull to have knowledgeable guys like you to help !

Regards

Kung.

Hi Guys

Just a quick update also something for others to watch out for ! on checking the earthing system out at first glance i have 2 swa cables entering my house 1 for line 1 for neutral ! strange it isnt one cable with both in ! still there you go ! anyway both cables on entering 1-neutral block and the other the cutout fuse carrier bothe cables have earth clamps with cpc from both clamps going into an earth block before the cpc goes from here to CU ! from what i was taught and what is now on 17th ed certs theres tns/tncs/tt ! so this would be tns ! wrong ! from the old 16th ed cert its a tnc system ! on checking the big red book it does exist ! so on phoning the DNO they told me that they want all earthing systems to be tncs eventually so im now down for a cutout change (4-6wks) told them im ex S.E.B. Meter recert and related to jointers manager so hope get it done next wk ! Just goes to show how easy it is to mistake an earthing system !

Regards

Kung.

P.S. will get S.E.B. to install tt rod for garage as dont have spike kit and cant afford one yet.

so on phoning the DNO they told me that they want all earthing systems to be tncs eventually so im now down for a cutout change (4-6wks)
:eek: They love cutting money. I wonder if they can be prosecuted if someone dies using PME when they loose a neutral (involuntary manslaughter maybe)?

P.S. will get S.E.B. to install tt rod for garage as dont have spike kit and cant afford one yet.
Will they do that? Thought they usually say, get your sparks to do it?

Ian.

:eek: They love cutting money. I wonder if they can be prosecuted if someone dies using PME when they loose a neutral (involuntary manslaughter maybe)? Very good point !

Will they do that? Thought they usually say, get your sparks to do it?

Ian.
Dont know ive got multifunction 17th ed tester kewtech kt61 and alto loop tester but never fitted a rod and thought i have to use a spike test kit-not cheap ! and probe ground before fitting rod ! could be wrong never fitted a rod so dont know.

Got these but thought you had to use a spike test kit for probing before installing the rod ! Thanks for your reply.

never fitted an earth rod before
Wack it in do a loop test on it job done. No need for proper earth tester thats more for lighning conductors.

Batty

Wack it in do a loop test on it job done. No need for proper earth tester thats more for lighning conductors.Batty
Or for recording Za on an earth rod installation.

However as you say loop test will normally suffice.