Retraining as Electrician - EAL or C&G? Prospective employers opinion on course trained Electrician?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshH94

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking of retraining as an electrician, but I'm weighing up my options and need decent advice from experienced electricians.

Bit of background:

1 - Just turned 27

2 - Currently working as a chemical engineer - Only way to progress my career is to move country to country now.

3 - Moving is not an option for me anymore - I have a family + a business that is established in my local area (Not something I can just up sticks and take).

4 - Business is running fine without me, so I have way more time now - I wanted to try this before I pick up even more commitments.

5 - Ultimately my aim is to open a second business, but I need the correct experience.

My plans:

Knowing something in theory is totally different to knowing it practically, so I would never 'just' do a course.

1 - Study my Level 2 and 3, along the way volunteering and scraping together as much work as I possibly can in order to complete the NVQ and AM2.

2 - Study my level 2, find work as an electricians mate (Or related) and then continue with the rest of my course before hitting the NVQ & AM2.

I'm weighing up courses with the following:

1 - C&G

2 - EAL

I'm probably too old for an apprenticeship, even if I do feel its the better route. Since my options are already limited, I need to be more picky.

Questions: Course trained electricians seem to get a bit of stick from people who favour an apprenticeship.  Opinions shouldn't matter, but that's stupid thinking as opinions always matter so I need to ask this anyway: 

1 - Of EAL and C&G, which one do you feel is superior content provider/held in higher esteem with employers?

2 - If you were a prospective employer and your only option was to hire a course trained electrician, would you lean towards an EAL or C&G trained electrician (Providing that they had achieved work experience sufficient to pass their NVQ etc)? 

In total, I'm looking at 2/3 years of course directed learning, but I'll be conservative and say I probably wouldn't be qualified for NVQ & AM2 until I'm in my early 30s say.  With that in mind, any direction and help would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Josh

Personally I’d go with C&G courses as they were established first, so more widely recognised. 
what is the second business? Electrical contracting? 

Hi Sharpend, 

Thanks - If I were opening a second business it would most probably be something to do with domestic electrical installations - but no certainty as it would be years in the future from now and plans always change.  Ultimately, it depends 1 - my training/experience, and 2 - what developments there have been in industry (i.e. are renewables more common and more accessible to everyday people).  

Equally, much like everyone else, our long-term plan is to start getting hold of properties and doing them up - I've got a lot of builders/joiners/plumbers in my family so its plausible at least. No electricians though so it'd be great to be able to be fully qualified and do the work myself/ with employees. 

Cheers

Well I shall wish you the best.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Locked to prevent hi jacking (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.