Review of CalCard EXT1 Calibration Checkbox

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reviews Guys, and time taken to write up the results. Applaud Smiley

But can someone tell me whether these thingyamebobs are an actual replacement for the annual calibration check?

Or does Zs, & Ze fall within the ohms test done?

I think what I mean is that this card can't verify that your meters rcd disconnect times are accurate can it? So multi tester still has to go off for calibration yearly?

?:|

Hi,

No They do not replace the annual or any other calibration test.

They simply verify that the instrument does not drift from calibration.

As per Part P conformance.

As for the rcd disconnect times watch this space for the next versions coming out!

you may be due a call from NICEIC sometime, had an assessement recently and was asked about the card on top of the box.

guy seemed quite impressed, especialy when it actually gave the readings I had overwritten on the card, quick conversation about claimed readings and actual readings and he agreed that consistency was the target. reckoned would be calling you sometime soon. perhaps we could be seeing an NICEIC branded version soon.......

I bought one of these (see earlier posts) and have been well pleased with it.

Had an email from Steve Brown of Caltronics this morning. He has secured a deal with some large outfit to sell them exclusively and the price will be

The back of the card has space to write your name, contact number etc and space to write when calibration expires for a test instrument. I'm not sure that would be used as you will be using the card longer than the instruments calibration period. It also has a serial number, an important item as it allow traceability for calibration.
I should think that the space is to write the calibration date of the card itself - because it may be used by many different meters during its life. Of course to ensure traceability all steps of the route have to be recorded with their cal. dates...

I'm thinking to get one so let's wait and see what I'll write on the back!! ; \

I should think that the space is to write the calibration date of the card itself - because it may be used by many different meters during its life. Of course to ensure traceability all steps of the route have to be recorded with their cal. dates...I'm thinking to get one so let's wait and see what I'll write on the back!! ; \
Welcome to the forum. Maybe worth introducing yourself in here

Ian.

From Post #26..

OK boy and girls..Part 6.. or is it Part 7 of my review??

I've lost count?

perhaps too much Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Anyway... NUMBERS!

I have a whole bunch of readings..... If any one is interested?

CUT EDIT......
Remember all them actual test values on post #26?

no neither do I:^O:^O:^O:^O

(well just marginally forgot about them!)

But anyway..

coming soon I am going to go back though my test readings using the same meters..

to see how tolerances have kept up after 9 months of real world road test.

9 months! blimey has it been that long? :eek: :| ?:|

From Post #26..Remember all them actual test values on post #26?

no neither do I:^O:^O:^O:^O

(well just marginally forgot about them!)

But anyway..

coming soon I am going to go back though my test readings using the same meters..

to see how tolerances have kept up after 9 months of real world road test.

9 months! blimey has it been that long? :eek: :| ?:|
9 months?! You could have had another sprog in that time..............

:D

Hello everyone,

Am thinking about getting one of these Calcards, overall it seems to get ok reviews here.

Are there any promotional codes available via this forum, its got to be worth asking right?

Could anyone reccomend a sutiable checkbox for 17th eddition requirements?

Was thinking about making one of the two options on here, but the Calcard would save me time etc.

Many thanks.

Hello everyone,Am thinking about getting one of these Calcards, overall it seems to get ok reviews here.

Are there any promotional codes available via this forum, its got to be worth asking right?

Was thinking about making one of the two options on here, but the Calcard would save me time etc.

Many thanks.
You could PM 'Caltronics' and ask. He is the creator and a member here and has listed them at a better price on TEF auctions.

Hello everyone,Am thinking about getting one of these Calcards, overall it seems to get ok reviews here.

Many thanks.
Here we go - http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/tefauctions.php?do=ad&id=24

Hi guys

Sorry to ask is this calcard still being used and can someone give me details as to where i can purchasse

darren

hi guys,

Thank you very much for all your reviews and help.

In return and just to let you know, that ELECSA have bought and re-badged the Calcard in there own name and logo etc.

They are now accepting three years between instrument calibration periods when using the CalCard and recording results.

This has to be a big saving for you Part P electricians doesn't it?

Thank you all very much and one day I may get to buy you all a pint!

Calltronics

Okay - long term review time.

I`ve had my calcard for 14 months now.

In that time, it`s been in the snow, rain, cup of coffee (testing!), chucked about and generally abused in the name of serious testing.

I`ve just done my December calibration check. My Fluke hasn`t been sent off since I bought it 5 years ago! The test results today are with 0.01 ohms of the readings I had when the calcard was new - insulation readings steady to 2 decimal places. To be honest, I put the 0.01 ohm variations down to the pressure you exert on the pads, and the test leads themselves, rather than the Calcard!

Mr. Calltronics: FYI, The area engineer for the NICEIC is perfectly happy that, as long as the readings remain relatively constant; and an annual cross-check is made against a different tester, then there is no requirement to calibrate the tester, or replace the calcard :)

If I didn`t have one of these, or an equivalent, I`d "buy it now". On the TEF auction.

They are "probably" the best thing you could buy with the money.......

KME

But can someone tell me whether these thingyamebobs are an actual replacement for the annual calibration check?Or does Zs, & Ze fall within the ohms test done?

I think what I mean is that this card can't verify that your meters rcd disconnect times are accurate can it? So multi tester still has to go off for calibration yearly?

?:|
Damn. I know it was a while ago you asked, sorry mate:OBlushing

The calcard will check your "continuity" and "insulation" ranges.

Zs can be done on a socket in your house (same socket every time!)

And,if you install an RCD socket, you can use that for the RCD time tests, too.

So multi tester does NOT have to be calibrated, as long as consistent results obtained.

HTH

KME

12-09-08

date on my cal card

still giving readings relative to the first ones,

18months of rain/hail and abuse and still accurate to the readings it originally gave. ;

buy one tomorrow,

if I cant wreck it in 12months then you probably will never break it in a lifetime.

this card has been left out in the rain and everything, in all honesty for about 6 months I tried to destroy it, then I just forgot about it and it rattled around my toolbox etc,

found it last week and tested it on the original meters, got the same readings I had originally overwrote for the stated readings,

18 months of thrashing in the rain,

Got my Calcard today, just the day after funds were sent. Works well with readings very close to expected. Great to get my last bit of essential kit for such a reasonable price!