rewire quote

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
Just finishing up my first full rewire quote and just wanted to run the costings over with some more experienced fellas:D

The house is a good sized 2 bed terraced house with extension on back, wooden floor boards on ground and 1st floor, no carpets and limited furniture. Half of the switch cables are run in conduit but half are plastered in so some chasing will be required.

I plan to install these circuits

downstairs lighting

downstairs sockets (radial)

kitchen socket (ring)

cooker

upstairs lighting

Upstair sockets (radial)

shower

smoke

I have costed all materials, everything from a dual rcd cu to consumables at

I usually would allow 10 (6 - 7) hour days on my own for this type of job. Are they living in? (if so maybe another day) Plus maybe one day for clearing up and testing/Certing

I usually would allow 10 (6 - 7) hour days on my own for this type of job. Are they living in? (if so maybe another day) Plus maybe one day for clearing up and testing/Certing
Yeah I did wonder about the timescale, they wont be staying there for the first 4 days and i will have access to the property. I was going to do long days to get atleast the main circuits in place.

Price seems about right to me. Timescale maybe 7 normal days. I quoted last week 2500 for quite a small 3bed semi solid floors downstairs

Price seems about right to me. Timescale maybe 7 normal days. I quoted last week 2500 for quite a small 3bed semi solid floors downstairs
I might add an extra day on for good measure at half my day rate to keep the price down. Better safe than sorry

i think thats about right for the property but beware people will under cut you. there are lads in sheffield doing re wires for 1500 all in including patching up . :)

i would allow 4 days for that but would also allow fri morning for testing but would usually get it done in 4,

we have a lad but to be honest its not much quicker, its slightly easier thats all.

i think thats about right for the property but beware people will under cut you. there are lads in sheffield doing re wires for 1500 all in including patching up . :) i would allow 4 days for that but would also allow fri morning for testing but would usually get it done in 4,

we have a lad but to be honest its not much quicker, its slightly easier thats all.
my helper will just be there for the cable routing and chasing, he works as a builder and knows his way around buildings so he will come in handy for the first fix.

the correct tools half the work, sharp flat bits or augers, rotor stop drill and wide chizel, diamond core for extractors, tidy as you work and dont be walking your crap up and down stairs, cable holder to roll the cables off are worth there weight in gold, sds drill, cordless driver, etc etc ...

correct cable runs, walk the job, speak to the customer, they always want an extra socket when all the runs are in, do they want tv, cat5 to bedrooms etc .. always look for the extras

the correct tools half the work, sharp flat bits or augers, rotor stop drill and wide chizel, diamond core for extractors, tidy as you work and dont be walking your crap up and down stairs, cable holder to roll the cables off are worth there weight in gold, sds drill, cordless driver, etc etc ... correct cable runs, walk the job, speak to the customer, they always want an extra socket when all the runs are in, do they want tv, cat5 to bedrooms etc .. always look for the extras

Maybe a good chance to offer extras as you suggested, maybe outside security lights, extractor fan in bathroom, shaver socket etc. Thanks for the tip Applaud Smiley
You're meant to offer the extras before you quote the job. They'll just see you trying to add more unneccesary jobs onto the list if you go round after.