Rewiring advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetley

Reaction score
Hi there, a mate of mine has just bought a house and has asked me for a price to rewire it. Havnt seen the house yet, but the area he told me it was its probs a three bed semi/trerraced.

Now im not self employed, so this would just be an evening and weekend thing as a favour. Ive rewired houses before, but they were my gaffa's jobs and he said what he wanted and where. I know Im capable of doing this work alough have never done it solely yet, I think I would get some great experiance and confidence from this as it would really engage my brain and make me think.

One of the biggest things I would have to do but havnt done before is pricing the job, so was just asking if anyone out there could give any general advice before I tell my friend if I will do it or not.

Cheers

Hi there, a mate of mine has just bought a house and has asked me for a price to rewire it. Havnt seen the house yet, but the area he told me it was its probs a three bed semi/trerraced. Now im not self employed, so this would just be an evening and weekend thing as a favour. Ive rewired houses before, but they were my gaffa's jobs and he said what he wanted and where. I know Im capable of doing this work alough have never done it solely yet, I think I would get some great experiance and confidence from this as it would really engage my brain and make me think.

One of the biggest things I would have to do but havnt done before is pricing the job, so was just asking if anyone out there could give any general advice before I tell my friend if I will do it or not.

Cheers
firstly are you a qualified sparky, and also are you part p registered? ?:| :|

Hi there, a mate of mine has just bought a house and has asked me for a price to rewire it. Havnt seen the house yet, but the area he told me it was its probs a three bed semi/trerraced. Now im not self employed, so this would just be an evening and weekend thing as a favour. Ive rewired houses before, but they were my gaffa's jobs and he said what he wanted and where. I know Im capable of doing this work alough have never done it solely yet, I think I would get some great experiance and confidence from this as it would really engage my brain and make me think.

Cheers
You don't sound too confident - how long have you been sparkying??

As for price, if you want the experience price low and learn from it.

Cheers
Right Tetley......

sit yourself down with a mug O tea and I shall have ago at giving some sort of answer..

I will have to make some assumptions... (apologies if they are wrong).. but it may kick you off in the right direction.

Assumptions;

1) I guess you are either qualified or still doing college but employed by someone else.

2) Therefore I assume you are not able to self certify & notify for Part-P your own work.

3) If you are doing this for a good friend you will want to do a "proper job" and ensure your mate has all the correct paperwork to verify the safety and condition of your work.

4) If the above 3 are correct you will first of all need to find out how much it costs for you to notify the job & get the LABC to provide compliance certificate for Part P building regs. Different LABC have different charges.. it could be anything up to

i actually did an end of job costing on a rewire last year

from what i quoted materials to what i used.....

lads are doing rewires in sheffield for 1600 pound .. were as i would be putting 2500+ so any were in between is ok . lol.

lads are doing rewires in sheffield for 1600 pound .. were as i would be putting 2500+ so any were in between is ok . lol.
Why oh why do we cut ourselves short,

Yes I agree I always make sure my phone numbers are on the consumer unit call me when ever they need me, I have even had calls from past cutomers asking if I have the plumbers number, they lost it but my number is on all my cu stickers.

My last rewire was for