Rfc - Cable Clipped Direct To Outside Of Building

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks ProDave .... I've revised the work and said i will only do this if i run the cable in Plastic rigid conduit. Customer is going to have a think about it - but i bet the local 'Handyman' will be getting a call now after i've told the customer what is involved with putting it all in. At least he hasn't got my testing information about his property.

I heard of an SWA job round the outside of a kitchen extension. The bloke had had a high spec kitchen fitted and TILED and just kept telling the trades "Don't worry, the electrics are being sorted!". My chippy mates fitted the units and worktops and queried this. Just told to get on with the job. Seems the tiler got told the same thing. They went back to the house some time later to do some "work" in the garden. Seems it had been tiled WITHOUT any electrics being run. The ring was done round the outside in SWA with LOTS of drops.

And their work in the garden..............cover the outside walls and cable drops in trellis!

I'll ask if they have any pics.

Customer is now saying they want to install it themselves ( probably get the local handyman to do it from the pub cheap ) and wants me to go back and give it a cert as they have read on the internet that Part P has changed & think i'm trying to charge too much !!!

I've already done basic tests and checks to verify the installation already, I will not be getting anything for that & isn't exactly a five minute job.

When i told them - 'if i'm going to install this then it has to be cable in plastic conduit as a minimum protection' I just got told - yep my mate who does 'Electrics, Plumbing and Gardens' will do that - just come over when it's done and sign it off, that's all you have to do now !!!!

I'm walking away - what else can i do ???

Customer is now saying they want to install it themselves ( probably get the local handyman to do it from the pub cheap ) and wants me to go back and give it a cert as they have read on the internet that Part P has changed & think i'm trying to charge too much !!!

I've already done basic tests and checks to verify the installation already, I will not be getting anything for that & isn't exactly a five minute job.

When i told them - 'if i'm going to install this then it has to be cable in plastic conduit as a minimum protection' I just got told - yep my mate who does 'Electrics, Plumbing and Gardens' will do that - just come over when it's done and sign it off, that's all you have to do now !!!!

I'm walking away - what else can i do ???

Ask him EXACTLY WHAT TESTS he wants you to do....

i.e.

Ask him who will be doing the dead tests, prior to energising the circuit?

will this other person be providing copies of his cert with dead tests only done?

And who will be energising the circuit prior to doing the live tests?

Either way the cables need to be disconnected from the rest of the installation for you to undertake your test safely..

Then reconnected for you to do your live tests..

You will of course need to open up and inspect all of this other persons joints to check the security of all connections..

Tell him it will be a bill for half a days work to cover any anomalies you may find that need rectifying before you can energize and issue your certificate!

Trouble is ... this attitude is becoming more prevelant, people are becoming aware that PART P has changed and think that as the economy is bad Electricians are charging too much and will take on work for next to nothing to get the job.

I have been reading the consultation document

and impact assessment connected with changes

with Part 'P' which includes the dates when the

changes come into effect.

For a summary look here.

Building Regulations : Electrical Safety Council

If you read that you can see that the view of the

government was that outdoors work and work in

bathrooms should be removed from the scope of

part 'P'.

You can only cert work that has been designed, installed and i&t'd yourself. Don't go signing for anyone else's work mate as you could be signing to all sorts of crappy installation. Let em get on with it and find some decent work. Customers like that you don't need mate

I have just (and I mean just a few minutes ago) had some bloke knock the door, he lives up the road & is a general handyman come builder in the local area.

"Hi you've been recomended to me as a good sparks, I have some work to put your way."

Oh right thanks, what can I do for you.

"well I've installed a new shower it just needs connecting to the power & testing + certing & notifying for part P"

Not a problem but a like for like swap there is no requirement to notify the work.

"No its all new the shower the 10mm cable & the small fuse box with rcd. Easy money for you if you want it"

Ok, do you want a quote?

" yes please, just drop it through the door"

Isnt he going to be shocked :innocent :slap

Ugh !!! :facepalm:
default_Hits%20the%20fan.gif

Canoeboy said:
i dont want to know what your dropping though his door :slap

Isnt that changing  somewhen ? Or have they put it on the back burner ?
You have to be assessed as a 'special' scheme member to be able to sign others work off don't you. Most probably be more money for the scams. We still can only sign off our own stuff still Dave :)

Anyone know anymore about this ?

Assessing other's work.....I read that something was coming out in October.....I won't hold my breath...... they'll probably scrap Prat Pree totally!!!

Already watered down .

Last edited by a moderator:
make sure you gets your EICR money before you give them the FAIL [unsatisfactory] cert,

BTW, round here I dont even think about it for under 120£ , if its someone elses work/previous cert then its deffo 150 min , NO exceptions.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be interesting to see what happens after

the changes have come into effect.  The impact

assessment did produce figures and summative

statements about the BENEFICIAL impacts of

Part 'P'. 

If such a document is produced AFTER a period

of time that shows there has been an increase

in accidents/admissions/fatalities and that there

has also been a decline in the income earned by

enterprises, we will know.

Either way, it is yet another example of politicians