rfcc readings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmm

Reaction score
done a rfcc test today n-n 0.00 cpc-cpc 0.00 l-l 0.59 any suggestions as to what the problem could be i carnt get my head round it?

of course iv nulled the leads properly thats the first thing id do perfect readings on all other circuits to including other ring mains

The problem has got to be less than a metre away because a one-metre length of 2.5 (I'm assuming your neutral is part of a 2.5 T&E) should have a resistance of 0.0074 ohms and most meters would round that up to 0.01 ohms. What about damage to BOTH cables where they enter the CU. Is it a metalclad?

of course iv nulled the leads properly thats the first thing id do perfect readings on all other circuits to including other ring mains
well with an attitude like that you deserve a, you're not competent enough to be testing otherwise you would have a fairly good idea as to what the problem is.

instead I'll give you a,

if you havent found the fault, then you havent done enough testing yet,

:|

Try going back to basics.

Go to the middle of the ring, take off a socket, such that in doing so you have broken the ring.

Repeat your tests at the CU. All 3 should now be open circuit. If you still get two reading 0 ohms then you have a short somewhere.

What are you IR readings L-N, L-E, and N-E?

i dont have an attitude all i did was ask a question nd say iv zeroed my leads which i thought was a bit indicating i hadnt its basics i havent been asked to find the fault only come up with the eicr nd somebody else follows up doing remedial works unless any c1 are found its existing and rewired 3 years ago

so because i dont have a idea what the fault is i aint competent enough to test?

i dont have an attitude all i did was ask a question nd say iv zeroed my leads which i thought was a bit indicating i hadnt its basics i havent been asked to find the fault only come up with the eicr nd somebody else follows up doing remedial works unless any c1 are found its existing and rewired 3 years ago
If you are ONLY doing the testing, then put the results you find. Make sure you code the fault and they know the installation is unsatisfactory until the fault is found and corrected.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:19 ----------

so because i dont have a idea what the fault is i aint competent enough to test?
That's the impression you give, that you don't UNDERSTAND what you are testing.

The BIG issue here is a reading of 0.00 is too low. It either means you haven't zero'd your probes, or there's a short VERY close to the CU

If you had asked this in the student learning zone I am sure you would have got a very different answer, but you seem to be acting as an electrician testing and signing off eicr's without understanding what you are testing.

I think a big issue here is why are you doing eicr's? Surely if you are going to test something and you find a fault, it would be reasonable to expect the customer to then instruct you to repair the fault you have found. you would look pretty dumb if you then told the customer you don't know how to find and fix the fault so they will need to get someone else to do it.

it would be like taking your car to a garage for it's mot, for the car to fail, and the garage to tell you they don't repair cars (oh hang on that setup exists doesn't it)

Last edited by a moderator:
another insult! i do no what im doing but dont get payed to put the problems right only payed to test! i could find it if i looked into splitting the ring etc all i asked was for an idea of what it could be and everyone goes off on 1 at me saying not competent and dont kniw what im doing just because some ppl have more knowledge than others i thought this forum was to help?

ok look im sorry iv went off on 1 but i am competent to test i know the readings way to low the installation has been in service for the past 3 years with no alterations and the property is now void i have put unsatisfactory on the cert but im not payed to carry out the remedial work as much as i would like to to locate the problem

another insult! i do no what im doing but dont get payed to put the problems right only payed to test! i could find it if i looked into splitting the ring etc all i asked was for an idea of what it could be and everyone goes off on 1 at me saying not competent and dont kniw what im doing just because some ppl have more knowledge than others i thought this forum was to help?ok look im sorry iv went off on 1 but i am competent to test i know the readings way to low the installation has been in service for the past 3 years with no alterations and the property is now void i have put unsatisfactory on the cert but im not payed to carry out the remedial work as much as i would like to to locate the problem
I offered you a possible solution in post #5 but no response to my question, so maybe you don't read all the replies?

hmmm

Is there any chance you could use a bit more punctuation? You know? commas, full stops, etc.... It'll make it much easier to read and understand your posts.

Anyway, back to the question. I have found this kind of thing myself.

I found 3 legs into the MCB, all had continuity!

I found a JB <1M away from the CU on the ring coming back to the CU!!!!!

yeah i missed it sorry the cu isnt metal i get what your saying though the installation was energised when i arrived and no rcds or mcbs had tripped

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:09 ----------

plus no work had been carried out anywhere in the property between me testing and the tenant moving out the previous day

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:15 ----------

Ok Noz i shall try haha. A JB near the CU could be a pssible cause but im getting an ok reading L-L.If it was JB'd id get it on all conductors.