Ring main connection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob3000

Reaction score
I want to extend a ring main circuit from a single socket on a landing, what is the best way to connect the cables in the back of the socket. Is it ok to use 30A terminal block or can through crimps be used or are there any other suggestions?? Cheers

just go straight in and use the socket connection at the back, no need to connector block.. this is the best way to extend the ring, so you have now created a spur off the ring...

If you want to keep your extra sockets on the ring 30A connectors will probably take up too much room behind the socket, so I'd use through-crimps or if I could pull one leg out from the socket & replace it with the new cable I'd join one leg of the old to the other leg of the new in a JB (maintenance free to comply with BS7671:2008) under the floor. If you're only adding one socket & don't have spurs from the ring already Matt's solution above is the simplest.

Thanks for the replies. Three extra sockets are needed but only for low power stuff (tv signal amplifier and two tv's.) I can't get under the floor as they have had a new laminate floor just laid which is typical so was going to run up into the loft and drop down. Maybe it would be better to come off the socket with a fused spur unit and run them as a radial. Does anyone know what the current rating of the yellow through crimps is?

like you said change single socket to fcu or add and fcu then take the 3 sockets from there as they'll all be protected by the fuse in the fcu. trying to crimp cables in side back box wont leave a great deal of room for the socket to push back on to.

Shouldn't you also cover crimped connection with heat-shrink sleeve to retain double insulation of T&E?