Ring Or Radial???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4.0 is about twice the price of 2.5 but since you only need about half(ish) there isn't much difference in cost.

4.0 is about twice the price of 2.5 but since you only need about half(ish) there isn't much difference in cost.
id love to know how you can only use half the cable by using radials....

you wont use as much cable, but its a lot more than half

Hence the ish part ;) . On long runs (kitchen at other end of the dwelling for example) then the radial won't be too far off half. Downstairs ring, there may not be much in it.

actually I would disagree, I reckon you would use as much as damn close.

do you do each room as its own radial, or each point(more cable actually) or just a section at a stage?

I only use radials as,

a more convenient means,

easier testing,

and shoulda been the 1st point but I take it for granted, much safer.

I dont really use them as a money saving excercise except for perhaps the install time may be less.

depends on layout, but i often use 2.5mm radials, wire pretty much same as ring, but miss final cable between the 2, so only cable saving on 2.5 is the a leg between 2 outlets

depends on layout, but i often use 2.5mm radials, wire pretty much same as ring, but miss final cable between the 2, so only cable saving on 2.5 is the a leg between 2 outlets
smallish/terrace house this would prob be about right.

no real money gain as far as I can see, 5m of cable Vs an extra MCB,

no gain for profit.

Yes you have a point here, just in some cases (I had one) where I did not have enough wall space for SFCUs and I had to use Grid frame with 6 SFCUs (it would be 12 connections, 6xfuses + 6x switches) and this was not easy using 4mm2. Otherwise no problems.
bigger grid!

I am not sure that I understand because it sounds like a broken ring.. Please explain if i am wrong.

i like radials too, would only wire one in 4mm personally speaking. testing rings does my swede in, i agree ban the ring!