Run Flats

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Run Flats on our car have only done 12,500 miles and the fronts are done, they are Bridgestone.

Anyone using run flats that they can recommend, failing that I may switch to standard tyres and a space saver wheel.

Run flats as supplied OE.are rubbish,

Security forces in NI have used proper run flats for.years and they are good,

Supplied to. Normal cars a waste of time,

Either fit proper run flats or normal.tyres.

Beware that it is generally so difficult to fully remove the residue of sealant foam that most tyre repairers won't do it. So for a small puncture its a great way to make the whole tyre a write off. I carry a spare tyre and a can of foam but would only use the foam as second spare and in a last resort. With a few exceptions most cars still have the tyre storage space and fixings. Run flats for cars are actually just designed not to come off the rims or catch fire ( lubricant) when driven on. The car can be twitchy and the tyres may again degrade to write themselves off if a nail etc is driven on while still in place.

So while run flats and written off tyres will make sense to owners of new £60k sports coupes and convertables with no boot space the appeal to the 3rd owner of a family car is going to be a lot more limited

And yes, we wrote off a nearly new £180 run flat tyre this month by driving it to the tyre centre. Great.

The ride with run flats is awful pot holes feel like they are 2ft deep, country roads are like being on a fair ride, you come off almost feeling sick.

I've had 3 cars now with RF and I've had enough of them, so it's either a space saver wheel or a foam and compressor.

Since 1981 when I got married we have only had to change a wheel once and even that was outside the house so no big deal, however I bet if I change we will get a puncture straight away.

Phoned around yesterday £146-£187 for a RF, normal around 30% cheaper, we need 4 so its an outlay whatever I do.

Beware that it is generally so difficult to fully remove the residue of sealant foam that most tyre repairers won't do it. So for a small puncture its a great way to make the whole tyre a write off. I carry a spare tyre and a can of foam but would only use the foam as second spare and in a last resort. With a few exceptions most cars still have the tyre storage space and fixings. Run flats for cars are actually just designed not to come off the rims or catch fire ( lubricant) when driven on. The car can be twitchy and the tyres may again degrade to write themselves off if a nail etc is driven on while still in place.

So while run flats and written off tyres will make sense to owners of new £60k sports coupes and convertables with no boot space the appeal to the 3rd owner of a family car is going to be a lot more limited

And yes, we wrote off a nearly new £180 run flat tyre this month by driving it to the tyre centre. Great.
We were lucky last year the wife noticed the warning light and wondered what the sound alarm was then realised it was for a puncture, so drove 5 miles to the tyre place we use and they said providing you have driven a short distance we will plug it and they did.

I read the foam can be rinsed off with water and brush, and tyre centres use the can't fix it now you've used foam as a way of selling a new tyre.

I think almost every puncture I've had has been a slow one and I've been able to get to a tyre place without having to do a wheel change.

The space for the spare wheel is now the home for the battery, so a spare would have to lay in the boot.

Last edited by a moderator:
with decent tyres, I only ever seem to get nails and screws in tyres, which slow puncture and give plenty of time to get to tyre depot. Don't therefore see need for RF. For those that don't like price of Michelins, I have found Firestones to be good on the van.

Well I've done it, got rid of the Run Flats and had standard Avon's fitted at £116 each, which is better than the £156 for the RF.

I'm hoping the tyre wear will be better but time will tell, the fitter reckons they get cars coming in with only 10k and they need changing, Minis and BMW's being the worst.

However the best thing is now the bumps and pot holes are now much less of a thud and more a bump.

I agree with the above, most punctures are a nail or screw that is a slow puncture and allows you to get to the garage anyway.

I have bought a tin of weld seal just in case and already had a 12V compressor, so hopefully covered should the need arise.

Latest posts