Running SWA Cable Under Concrete Footing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GVC

Reaction score
There is a two storey extension being built on the side of my house.

The footings have been dug out (1000mm ) and before being back filled with concrete , I want to run a 16mm SWA to an out building.

Can the cable be laid in the trench directly and the concrete poured over the cable? 

There is a two storey extension being built on the side of my house.

The footings have been dug out (1000mm ) and before being back filled with concrete , I want to run a 16mm SWA to an out building.

Can the cable be laid in the trench directly and the concrete poured over the cable or if the cable was placed in conduit or ducting

something like this:

7_22b.gif.d4960c69e921267404725f7cac56aa11.gif

But I would put warning tape on top and run the cable in ELECTRICAL ducting.

Finding a fault in a cable that is buried in concrete is rather annoying and would require something like this

Last edited by a moderator:
You say the footings have been dug 1 metre deep? well a cable does not need to go that deep.

So get the concrete poured, Then when the brickies start building up the walls, get them to build in a length of black ducting through the wall at the correct depth to feed your cable through.  If your builders are as particular as mine were, they will bridge even a small opening for a cable duct with a proper lintel.

I have always known "deep strip" as "Trench Fill" it must be a regional thing, basically you are filling the whole trench with concrete (expensive)

I prefer the flexible black twinwall duct on a roll, easy to get nice gentle bends.

P.S Some DNO's insist you use red duct.

What is this witchcraft?!  :eek:
Let it be so!

DNO only have 3 sizes

single phase 40mm

three phase 100 or 150

even though their smallest three phase will easily fit down the 40mm they will not allow its use even on a straight 2m run through foundations with no bends!

so I just it sub it out now, saves the hassle

handy as daughters best mates hubby owns a large Utilities/Civils company

Latest posts