Scrap

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The income from scrap has always been taxable. Whether you declare it or not is up to your conscience.

If it's personal scrap have it paid into your personal bank account but then it goes on your tax return as income.

Obviously you all have your waste carriers licences ready if you take the old cable away...........

No the off cuts are reusable, I have just decided I don't need to keep the amount that I have so will be scrapping as personal scrap as they have been stored in my personal shed not place of work!!!!

I've got a couple of days stripping ahead then.

As for the payemnts by cheque after december i'll just get them paid to my missus then.

The income from scrap has always been taxable. Whether you declare it or not is up to your conscience.

If it's personal scrap have it paid into your personal bank account but then it goes on your tax return as income.

Obviously you all have your waste carriers licences ready if you take the old cable away...........
Yes I keep it with my dead fluorescent tubes carriage licence :innocent

local independent today,

£1.48 unstripped

£4.07 stripped

I was working directly across the road so just carried my half bin of cuttings over and got £37 for 15minutes of my day :D

The trouble is how much do you trust the HMRC? If for example you have a bank record of taking in £1000 of scrap in the next financial year, are they likely to ask to see your accounts for previous six years to see what you have shown as scrap income and if none will they put forward that they believe you to have had on average £900 per year for the six years to which you now owe tax on?
As Specs says and also  ....  Oh I've never sold any before .. didn't know you could until I read about only being paid by cheque or BACs

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously you all have your waste carriers licenses ready if you take the old cable away...........

You do not need a waste carriers license for transporting your own personal waste...

This is how Joe public moves their trash to the local tip each week....

Any items from home that you no longer need can quite legally be disposed of without any paperwork...

Any unused cable off a reel is not automatically scrap..

it may be used on the next job...  So it will be stored until such times it is used..

or if you later decide you no longer want it...

you may sell it on ebay,or dispose of it locally...

Many scrap yards are open to non-trade recyclable metal; such as cans, tins of paint, car batteries,  old bikes etc..

Brownies, Cubs, Scouts, Guides, Youth centers, Sports teams, Guide dogs.. etc.. etc.. etc..

often collect recyclable goods as part of their fund raising toward the various charitable good causes..

Just because you are an electrician, does not mean you are prohibited from helping the local Scout group

by taking some old metal bits to the scrapyard...(with no license)!

:C

It doesn't seem to matter after Dec 13. Or that was my understanding.

Doesn't apply to me. I really don't care, but I suspect some of you guys should.

Does look like you'll need to register in a years time, even if not now:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Business/Who_should_register.pdf

From your document...

2. Is the waste carried for business or profit?

You must identify whether the waste is being carried ‘in the course of any business’ or with ‘a view to a profit’. This includes businesses that are not waste contractors or skip operators but which transport waste.

Your decision

We

do not require the carrier to register:

1. if they are not carrying waste as part of their business or for profit
  2. they are a householder carrying their own waste

Which is as I said in Post#29...

You do not need a waste carriers license for transporting your own personal waste...

This is how Joe public moves their trash to the local tip each week....

Any items from home that you no longer need can quite legally be disposed of without any paperwork...

I carry materials I may need for a job to site and I carry materials I did not use on the job back from site..

Some of these materials may then sit back on my stock for days. weeks or months until I use them  on another job..

But also within my TAX return there are costings for any materials taken from the business for my own personal use...

So any such materials that I happen to consume as part of my own non working leisure time..

Are personal domestic waste..

Just as the stuff that any DIY person could also buy from any DIY outlet is just as much a personal waste for me as it is for them...

such as a DIY person tiling his own bathroom...

or fixing a new garden shed...

or painting the lounge..

or putting sockets in the bedroom..

or helping parents clear the loft..

or helping the elderly neighbor who hasn't got a car dispose of the old back door that went rotten...

or any of my own home personal waste..

No license needed..

I know of students doing art college courses who like all sorts of materials for doing three dimensional art structures.....

e.g. one of my daughters....

she has all sorts of personal waste left at the end of a project!

From your document...

2. Is the waste carried for business or profit?

You must identify whether the waste is being carried ‘in the course of any business’ or with ‘a view to a profit’. This includes businesses that are not waste contractors or skip operators but which transport waste.

Your decision

We

do not require the carrier to register:

1. if they are not carrying waste as part of their business or for profit
  2. they are a householder carrying their own waste

Which is as I said in Post#29...

I carry materials I may need for a job to site and I carry materials I did not use on the job back from site..

Some of these materials may then sit back on my stock for days. weeks or months until I use them  on another job..

But also within my TAX return there are costings for any materials taken from the business for my own personal use...

So any such materials that I happen to consume as part of my own non working leisure time..

Are personal domestic waste..

Just as the stuff that any DIY person could also buy from any DIY outlet is just as much a personal waste for me as it is for them...

such as a DIY person tiling his own bathroom...

or fixing a new garden shed...

or painting the lounge..

or putting sockets in the bedroom..

or helping parents clear the loft..

or helping the elderly neighbor who hasn't got a car dispose of the old back door that went rotten...

or any of my own home personal waste..

No license needed..

I know of students doing art college courses who like all sorts of materials for doing three dimensional art structures.....

e.g. one of my daughters....

she has all sorts of personal waste left at the end of a project!

:slap

they even put adverts in the free ads round here looking for copper wire for their sculptures

Just to add........ :Blushing

there is a subtle difference between a few bits of copper cable and a few aluminum 500w PIR floodlight housings & coach lanterns....

-vs-

A 160m length of 4 core 16mm SWA.....  and 60x hi-bay light enclosures...   and a 3-phase metal enclosure distribution board!!!!!!

Some stuff is clearly NOT domestic waste!!!