Selection of panels and question concerning the installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike192837

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to install a PV system and have two questions regarding this:

First: I can choose between 2 electricians which charge the same amount, but use different panel suppliers. One uses "Bauer Solar" (a german manufacturer) and the second uses "SunRise".

Which of these manufacturers are known to be good or better than the other?

Second: It could be an option to install an additional layer of panels horizontally (the other would be mounted vertically) and those would be about 11 Inch / 28 cm over the edge of the roof. The wind in this area is moderate but not too strong and the panels would face south. Is it advisable to do so?

I appreciate any help and thank you in advance.

Best regards!

Last edited:
I’ve never heard of either of those panels.
But on your last point, MCS guidelines wouldn’t permit that. Not saying it can’t be done or would be a problem but presumably there’s a reason for that guideline.

Thanks for your answer.

So there wouldn't be an obvious physical problem?

The law in my area obviously allows it (Austria), as I have seen it sometimes around in my village. I just would like to know if it is recommended?

I’m sorry I can’t answer on any physical problems. Just pointing out that here in the UK, the MCS guidelines for their installers state there must be a margin from the edge of the roof to where the panels begin. I think it’s 30cm.

Thanks for your answer.

So there wouldn't be an obvious physical problem?

The law in my area obviously allows it (Austria), as I have seen it sometimes around in my village. I just would like to know if it is recommended?
It's not allowed in the UK , but that doesn't mean it can't be done. You would have to look at how the frames will be supporting the panels. The panel manufacturers recommend clamping points on the frames, and the frame rails have maximum unsupported lengths. As long as you can meet those 2 constraints, it's a possibility.

Not used either of those panels, I would compare the data sheets. Look for panel efficiency, and outputs at low light levels. There should be a graph showing amps at 200w/m, 400w/m etc. Pick the panel with higher ampage.

Latest posts