self-adhesive trunking

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to use the above in a bathroom? Would it hold well enough with the steam that may be generated?

Cheers

I put screws in once its stuck no matter where its fitted, that way you know you will not get called back. :)

Always find it best to throw a couple of small screws in saves getting called back in a few weeks if it comes away. :)

i never put a screw in, silicon does it every time for me . :) its usually in a safe zone .. !

Sticky back is great for getting it lined up straight but IMO you need to pop some screws in there for the long term ;)

I never use the stuff, especially in bathrooms all its good for is lining up, then bang in some screws to hold it in position.

reminds me of a job I did 2 years ago, self adhesive told my apprentice to screw it anyway, but he didn't, next morning we where met by bent falling trunking all over the place, I just walked into the flat and started to laugh.

Any specific make of silicone do you recommernd jl?
not the cheap pound a tube stuff it goes yellow.

depending on the length and wall its on i sometimes use decorators caulk so you can decorate up to it it only needs a little help to stay on ..

in 20 years i have never had self adhesive fall from a wall. you watch the phone will ring all day tommorrow trunking falling off all over worksop lol.

not the cheap pound a tube stuff it goes yellow. depending on the length and wall its on i sometimes use decorators caulk so you can decorate up to it it only needs a little help to stay on ..

in 20 years i have never had self adhesive fall from a wall. you watch the phone will ring all day tommorrow trunking falling off all over worksop lol.
typical plumber,

once did a job for a heating engineer, he SUPERGLUED the flex along the tiles.!!!!!!!

I couldnt believe it.!!!!

BTW JL , I dont class you as typical, you are on here trying to do it right, or at least pretending to, LOL.

It does depend on the trunking as well. I've found the CEF Centaur stuff to be pretty much useless at sticking t anything for very long, and smoe of the DIY store stuff does the same. I try and use MK or Marshall Tufflex, but prefer MK.

Always screw it, then caulk the gap between wall and trunking, never goes anywhere and looks a neat job.

I am in total concurrence with the general consensus of this thread.

Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Self adhesive is OK for holding while you fix it properly...

That said, cuz I am a cheapskate I prefer to but the cheaper stuff without the sticky and save the penny's for me beer money!

GuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinness

Thanks guys. This leads to another question I'm afraid...

It'll be going against a brick wall, so if you've used self-adhesive trunking, how do you drill the wall and put the plugs into it for the screws or...

someone put me out of my misery and tell me that there are some screws that drive straight into brick apart from those humongous, expensive ones!!!

I did have some of the self adheisive stuff fall off a while back. I'd stuck it to some textured wall paper. It lasted a couple of months then got called back and screwed it. I only now tend to use it where access is poor and so I wouldn't be able to get screws in all along, rest of the time always use the non sticky stuff - its half the price. Other than above never had any come down when I've not screwed it.

Thanks guys. This leads to another question I'm afraid...It'll be going against a brick wall, so if you've used self-adhesive trunking, how do you drill the wall and put the plugs into it for the screws or...

someone put me out of my misery and tell me that there are some screws that drive straight into brick apart from those humongous, expensive ones!!!
What I tend to do is stick it up then drill straight through both trunking and wall, put screw slightly into plug and put it through trunking into hole tap in and screw up. The reason I put screw into plug first is it makes it easier to get plug into wall.

What I tend to do is stick it up then drill straight through both trunking and wall, put screw slightly into plug and put it through trunking into hole tap in and screw up. The reason I put screw into plug first is it makes it easier to get plug into wall.
Agreed..

The only point I would add is..

don't run your drill on 'hammer' whilst going through the trunking..

Cuz some trunking can be a bit brittle and a hammer drill can cause a crack along it! :(

I am in total concurrence with the general consensus of this thread.Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Self adhesive is OK for holding while you fix it properly...

That said, cuz I am a cheapskate I prefer to but the cheaper stuff without the sticky and save the penny's for me beer money!

What you talking about you know you don't buy it you only ever rob Martyns.

;)

Latest posts