shortage of electricians & what is being done?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Sarge

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum and considering becoming an Electrician as one of my future career choices. 

My question is, in your experience, is there really a shortage of electricians and how will the landscape change after this virus blows over?

I've been looking at threads about apprenticeships and they look difficult to come by these days and even more difficult for older people like me (30 years of age) hence why I even considered looking at those short courses. As well as that more and more younger people are more interested in digital, technological careers rather than trades.

What is the being done to combat this shortage and to make it easier for people who are looking to join the trade to get work without a lot of experience?

Welcome mate.

Not totally convinced there is a shortage - around me there are so many I do wonder how they can all earn a living. After the virus - well, that's a total unknown but I expect customers to tighten their belts considerably for some time.

I would recommend you do some research before parting with your hard earned cash - and don't assume that all sparks have websites - I know some that don't.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.

I suspect there will be a mini boom after the lockdown as very few people here are having anything other than really essential stuff done. So there will be a bit of a pent up demand.  But I suspect a lot of building work will be put on hold until the uncertainty is over, so after the mini boom I suspect a slowdown for a while.

I could be completely wrong.

Hi all, new to the forum and considering becoming an Electrician as one of my future career choices. 

My question is, in your experience, is there really a shortage of electricians and how will the landscape change after this virus blows over?

I've been looking at threads about apprenticeships and they look difficult to come by these days and even more difficult for older people like me (30 years of age) hence why I even considered looking at those short courses. As well as that more and more younger people are more interested in digital, technological careers rather than trades.

What is the being done to combat this shortage and to make it easier for people who are looking to join the trade to get work without a lot of experience?

How many adverts or requests do you see in your local press, employment websites, social media platforms etc, asking for electricians? To my experience there are far more training providers fishing for candidates to fill their courses than real employers searching for competent skilled labour. There are always companies looking for semi-skilled cable bashers who will work for peanuts so they can complete their large projects and retain a handsome return off the back of low paid workers. But I doubt those are the types of electrical labours you are thinking of?  I think we are heading for a significant slow-down of the economy & thus potential work, and my guess is there will be more people hunting for a smaller pool of customers.  

Doc H.

I've been looking at threads about apprenticeships and they look difficult to come by these days and even more difficult for older people like me (30 years of age)
I'd agree with that  Joe Sarge  , its not as easy as its made out to be.  

Not totally convinced there is a shortage - around me there are so many I do wonder how they can all earn a living.
All the jobs we did over the last ten years   ,   industrial , commercial, domestic ,  seemed to be done by old Pharts  like me & my mate , plumbers , brickies , painters etc .  Very few youngsters .  

Manager at our wholesalers reckons their biggest spenders...other than a rare few ....  are all in the over 60s bracket . 

I've seen the change over the years from almost  every electrician  having an apprentice with him in the 1960s   to  apprentii  becoming as rare as unicorns.  

I think the shortage is on large building sites, basically becuase they spent years not paying a decent rate. I was talking to a young (30ish) spark the other day who had jacked in site work in favour of going self-employed. So sites sem to be the home for 5 week wonder jockeys.

The other thing is that building companies went down the route of contract staff many years ago, so stopped training apprentices, and many small one man bands like me can't be arsed with youngsters who seem to be permanently attached to their phones. It's a shame an adult apprentice scheme doesn't exist, I might consider an adult? 

NB you won't earn £60k a year...

Latest posts