Should I stay or should I go? 😶

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard-the-Ninth

Staff member
TEF Moderator
Reaction score
Hello all, I seem to be getting the impression you are not happy with me? If you want me to go please say so, like you, I am not a mind reader, so I do not know what you are thinking, please let me know. :)

I should point out that if you do see a problem that I haven't, there is always the "report" button, I can not read all "normal" posts all of the time. (Reported posts are different.) You may think it is easy being a moderator, well it's not, if I were not here you would have at least 117 spam posts (since March) you do not see most of them as I try to take care of them first. Then there is the new members that post in the wrong forum (I don't keep a note of them) not to mention those who reply to posts from many years ago, expecting a reply, and there is the "bickering" that some of you do, it is only a forum, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

So, please let me know either way, or if you have a polite suggestion, again, how do I know what you are thinking unless you tell me.

Regards

Richard-the-ninth

Hello all, I seem to be getting the impression you are not happy with me? If you want me to go please say so, like you, I am not a mind reader, so I do not know what you are thinking, please let me know. :)

I should point out that if you do see a problem that I haven't, there is always the "report" button, I can not read all "normal" posts all of the time. (Reported posts are different.) You may think it is easy being a moderator, well it's not, if I were not here you would have at least 117 spam posts (since March) you do not see most of them as I try to take care of them first. Then there is the new members that post in the wrong forum (I don't keep a note of them) not to mention those who reply to posts from many years ago, expecting a reply, and there is the "bickering" that some of you do, it is only a forum, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

So, please let me know either way, or if you have a polite suggestion, again, how do I know what you are thinking unless you tell me.

Regards

Richard-the-ninth
You cant please all of the people all of the time so dont try. Being admin/mod is a thankless task for sure, I for one would not wish you to leave or change your modus operandi.

Thank you for your work and apologies for being one of the ones answering old threads, I have tried to take note dates on threads that appear before I answer.

Don't worry about it I have done what you do and people don't realise what you do in the background. Never be afraid to ban someone no matter how long they have been a member ridding dead wood is often the way forward. I will never hesitate to remove members who are consistently being reported, they are a pain so just rid the forum of them. People saying oh it used to be this it used to be that are just congealed grease on the cogs, rid them is my approach.

Last edited:
What is giving you the impression that people are not happy with you? Is it the usual antagonists that every forum seems to attract or is a particular thread on which you have expressed a view that people in general don’t agree with?
A moderator is never an easy job as it’s title suggests, but someone has seen something in you to give you that position so I would go with that and sod the rest.
Just my opinion

It's a thankless task being a Moderator, the only thing I would say is that if you don't want answers to old threads close them.

Nice idea, never going to work. Currently, there are 35,207 threads, each would have to be closed one at a time.

In the time I've been here there seems remarkably little real argument or nastiness which is quite refreshing compared to some other forums. Please stay, the forum is a better place with you here and your efforts to help.

In the time I've been here there seems remarkably little real argument or nastiness which is quite refreshing compared to some other forums. Please stay, the forum is a better place with you here and your efforts to help.
This forum was set up many years ago precisely to get away from the nastiness of the Screwfix forum. It's mostly worked well, with a few spats here and there, but nothing like some other forums. We still work hard to keep it that way, although incompetent people charging the public money for their poor service and lack of knowledge will get short shrift.