shower rcd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean mac

Reaction score
hi all was speaking to my mate the other day and he reckons showers dont have to be rcd protected unless the manafacturer says they should,wot are ur views guys

I'm a vet and I know that ALL circuits in a special location require RCD protection.

All together now 'although the regs are not retrospective'

Water + electricity --> RCD!

I'm not absolutely sure, but I seem to recall a discussion we had at work whilst the 16th was current, and the concensus was that although it was usually reccommended by manufacturers to put them on an rcd protected supply it wasn't a requirement as long as the bonding was up to scratch. None of us would have installed a shower without an RCD at that time. But with the 17th I really don't see there is any way round an RCD, and I cant imagine why anyone would consider it either.

if the manufacturers instructions say it needs an RCD... it needs an RCD... this has always been the same

until 17th ed, showers didnt have to have them, unless above, but most sparks still fitted them

Yeah Dean Mac put it on an rcd u will feel so much better about urself lol.

Dont the 17th say that manufacturers instructions should be followed? Hence if no RCD installed when mfcrs instructions said they should be, means..... electricity + water + accident = lawsuit?

Dont the 17th say that manufacturers instructions should be followed? Hence if no RCD installed when mfcrs instructions said they should be, means..... electricity + water + accident = lawsuit?
thats wot hes saying if manafacturers says theres no need then we dont have to fit one,i personally would disagree and say u would have to put on in regardless

Regulation 701.411.3.3In specific locations such as those containing a bath or

shower there is a requirement now to provide RCD

protection on all circuits, including the lighting and shower

circuits.

http://www.voltimum.co.uk/files/gb/others/F/20080903335.pdf

so in a new installation you have to! :p
And if the cable is less than 50mm deep in the wall and not protected by a earthed metal plate.

hi all was speaking to my mate the other day and he reckons showers dont have to be rcd protected unless the manafacturer says they should,wot are ur views guys
Since the 17th ed was introduced..

almost impossible to say No to fitting an RCD.

1/ buried cables & unskilled persons. 522.6.7

2/ Bathroom circuits. 701.415.2

3/ Manufactures instructions 134.1.1.

However in the 16th..

none of the above actual existed in the regs AFAIK...

and you could use the little picture on page 174/174 or 16th ed On site guide

AND

Page 16 of approved document P.

as reference where BOTH show showers connected to a CU with NO rcd in the circuit!

Although AFAIK manufactures instructions with showers have been saying RCD needed for a long time now! :)

Did you know that there has never, even with the current 17th edition been a requirement for a shower isolator .
if u was doing a periodic and the shower had no rcd what code would u put it has

Bathrooms and shower rooms .....everything on RCD , lights , fans , bubbley wubbley things attached to the bath, what are they called... ... oh yes ..jackonories, and floor heating elements.

Deke

Bathrooms and shower rooms .....everything on RCD , lights , fans , bubbley wubbley things attached to the bath, what are they called... ... oh yes ..jackonories, and floor heating elements.Deke
? so what code would u put it as lol

Did you know that there has never, even with the current 17th edition been a requirement for a shower isolator .
Except of course

134.1.1 good workmanship.. blah blah.. Manufactures instructions followed..

Shower instruction books normally show a little picture with a

CU, RCD, ISOLATOR, then THE SHOWER.! ;) :)

As guidance for the electrical connections.

Except of course134.1.1 good workmanship.. blah blah.. Manufactures instructions followed..

Shower instruction books normally show a little picture with a

CU, RCD, ISOLATOR, then THE SHOWER.! ;) :)

As guidance for the electrical connections.
I agree, but i said in the 17th edition. You could not really give a code to this on a PIR as it meets BS7671 and unlikely you would have the manufacturers paperwork that came with the unit ;)

I agree, but i said in the 17th edition. You could not really give a code to this on a PIR as it meets BS7671 and unlikely you would have the manufacturers paperwork that came with the unit ;)
common sense tells you any competent electrician would be aware of shower manufactures instructions as have been common for many a year now.

Also

reg 132.15.1 Isolation & switchingEffective means, suitably placed for ready operation, shall be provided so that all voltage may be cut off from every installation, from every circuit thereof and from all equipment, as may be necessary to prevent or remove danger.
e.g. if you see smoke coming out of an item of fixed equipment (such as a shower) a local accessible isolator should be present to allow Joe public remove danger.

All equipment, circuits or whole installations MUST be isolate able IMHO.

It could also be said that.. If you were relying on the MCB as the means for isolation...

You would need to leave the customer with a locking device to prevent accidental re-energising if the isolating device is remote from the equipment to be isolated.

ref Reg 537.2.1.5

Latest posts