Faulty Electric shower

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMenzies

Reaction score
My Triton Cara electric shower is faulty. I keeps cutting out. I tested mains voltage and all ok at shower. I tested continuity across thermal cut our and there was continuity. I tested for resistance across the solenoid coil and got 0 Ohms. I believe this should be around 3.5 Kohms??

Any other ideas of things to check for, currently waiting on replacement solenoid coil coming.

Many thanks in advance

If water flows when you switch it on I doubt that the solenoid is faulty?

By cutting out do you mean the hot water suddenly goes cold.. ?
Or the whole shower loses power?

Faulty switches.. especially square ceiling pull cord are prone to failure,
and while they are on the way out.. (overheating contacts due to poor cable terminations),
They can cause intermittent operation of the shower.

If the shower is five or more years old generally they are not worth trying to repair them from my experience..

As above, what does "cutting out" mean? Is there no water? does the water flow then stop? does the water flow hot, perhaps too hot, then go cold? or something else?

I ask from experience when I once travelled 30 miles to investigate "no hot water" expecting to find cold water coming out of the hot tap and an immersion heater fault. What I found was no water at all coming out of the hot tap and it was a plumber needed not an electrician. I am more particular about understanding exactly what the fault is.

I can’t remember the Triton Cara, but some of them have a flow switch built in which will only allow the heater element to operate above a certain flow rate…. I’ve seen several of these fail

I gave up on Triton Showers many years ago after a customer had one that nearly scalded them and Triton would not explain why there was no overheat fail safe

I gave up on Triton Showers many years ago after a customer had one that nearly scalded them and Triton would not explain why there was no overheat fail safe
There is, a thermal cutout on the top of the heater tank. Perhaps the temperature it is set to was a little higher than your customer was happy with.

I have always found Triton as cheap as chips and reliable, so cheap that if something does eventually go wrong it is hardly worth spending much time to find out what, just fit another new one.

There is, a thermal cutout on the top of the heater tank. Perhaps the temperature it is set to was a little higher than your customer was happy with.

I have always found Triton as cheap as chips and reliable, so cheap that if something does eventually go wrong it is hardly worth spending much time to find out what, just fit another new one.
I know there is a thermal cut out on the top of the tank it didn't work
The water temperature was beyond the limit of the thermal cut out and Triton customer service / technical didn't have an answer why it could happen or a solution, I've seen it happen on a couple of Triton showers, they might be cheap but could easily damage a customer and a reputation.
I have fitted many Triton showers over many years and thought they were a good brand but it only takes one or two problems that are not resolved to make you look elsewhere

I have a Triton remote shower unit, it was significantly cheeper than the Mira version at £500ish, it's been fine for 8 years, but generally I fit Mira and nothing else.

Latest posts