Showers And Hand-Dryers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajheis

Reaction score
I work in leisure centers where I am constantly coming across electricity to close to water.(bear with me on this one) ! For example showers spraying into ceiling tiles supporting non IP 65 lights ect.

We have recently had cubicles erected around the showers to enable private showering. This in effect has split the room up. Within the room is a 240v hand-dryer well away from the ist zone ie approx 3 meters.

My question is this. Although we are well clear of the showers in zone/regs ect would I want a child of mine running around wet through and able to touch such an appliance even though the regs say its ok and rcd's and zones and IP's ect say it is?

What do you think and what do I say to a manager who still in-effect wants the dryer within the wet-room???

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
I have converted your post from capitals to lower case. Re' your question, unless you have some specific grounds of non-compliance with any legal obligations that you can back up with clear written evidence, then whatever you say to your manager will probably just come across as moaning. Whatever any persons individual preferences or pet hates may be, if a business is meeting their minimum legal obligations toward their employees and customer then there is nothing more that they have to do.  

Doc H.

Not much to add to the Doc's post realy.   As he says, if it compies with the relevent regs , tats it !.     I presume the drier is by a wash basin , and if its clear of the zones with RCD etc  its as Doc says . 

Are the showers electric I ask ?

a properly rated hand dryer is perfectly safe under the conditions described, provided that it well maintained. If you have concerns, you really need to read and re-read BGB until you have a really good and fully informed knowledge of requirements. Next step is to then fully assess the changing rooms you are concerned with, then present a full report to your manager (MUST BE IN WRITING)outlining any non-compliances you may find, and suitable repairs. Final step, would be to include in report ideas for taking installation to better standard of protection than required. For instance RCD for hand dryer circuit, justifed by for example, some pillock keeps breaking the front cover. Using this approach you may just get your manager to raise the installation above minimum required to a level you are happy with, albeit what is required is safe in the first place.

Thats the first I heard of hand dryers been placed in shower room cubicles.

Agree with the above re: writing a report.

Also, how is hygeine cleaning performed, I've known many leisure centre staff using power washers and hoses use to wash down the shower areas, if that is done, then you have a case, some good hand dryers are IP54 which protect against water spray but not water jets.

Just a thought.