'Signing off' requirements?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy

Reaction score
A couple of very small jobs have come my way which I am comfortable doing but what are the requirements for certifying work, I am presuming that there is something in place which prevents anyone from buying a pack of 'minor work' certs.

Guy

Minor works don't require notification, so don't see a problem!

A couple of very small jobs have come my way which I am comfortable doing but what are the requirements for certifying work, I am presuming that there is something in place which prevents anyone from buying a pack of 'minor work' certs.Guy
why should they be restricted? you can easily buy MWC / other forms, or you can just download and print them

Well if it is not minor works, then it is EIC, but without specifics and generally speaking Minor works don't! Now if the OP gave examples of said works then a much more cogent answer could be given :) I must make sure I cover myself for all eventualities! :)

Well if it is not minor works, then it is EIC, but without specifics and generally speaking Minor works don't! Now if the OP gave examples of said works then a much more cogent answer could be given :) I must make sure I cover myself for all eventualities! :)
adding a socket in a special location is minor works and needs notified. there are many minor works jobs that do need notified

But then would it not be a EIC not a Minor works certificate, as otherwise I am confused. This is why I sit in commercial, my eyes are more open lol :)

The requirement for notification to LABC has NOTHING to do whether it is MWC or EIC.

It has everything to do with the work being done.

Competence has everything to do with the installer, inspector & tester, so if they are competent then they MUST certify the works, if they are not competent then they MUST NOT undertake the works.

If the works require notification to LABC then this is another hurdle that has to be jumped by whatever means is appropriate.

However, competence to design, install, inspect and test the said works is compulsory in any event.

But then would it not be a EIC not a Minor works certificate, as otherwise I am confused. This is why I sit in commercial, my eyes are more open lol :)
Whether you just do commercial or not.. the requirements for MWC or EIC are identical.. :C

AND use the same BS7671..

Read page 394: Note on MWC...

where it says..

Additions or alteration to an installation that do not involve adding a new circuit..

Examples include adding a socket or a light...

This is the same if its a domestic, industrial commercial etc..

IF it is a domestic and happens to be in a special location..

Or adding an outside socket then its a MWC + notification for Part P..

Unless you are ProDave and his buddies...

The blokes in skirts!!!!!!

:coat

GUY:-

If you are competent enough to do the work...

And you write out a bit of paper that has all of the essential info on the model forms..

then Job Done...

Anyone can buy the Green (non member) certificates from the NIC...

Loads of other bods do similar un logoed certificates for general use.

NICEIC - approving excellence

Last edited by a moderator:
Ten four on the special, you learn something new everyday! Now that makes it perfectly clear, Cheers :)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 07:33 ---------- Previous post was made at 06:29 ----------

After some toilet thinking!!! Special I understand that... But could I not issue a EIC, or is there a reason why I can't do this for an addition and or alteration in a special location etc? And notify to Part P? Or is there a specific rule where I have to issue a MWC, as this is the confusing part...I think I have been misinterpreted and for that I do apologise.

Ten four on the special, you learn something new everyday! Now that makes it perfectly clear, Cheers :)---------- Post Auto-Merged at 07:33 ---------- Previous post was made at 06:29 ----------

After some toilet thinking!!! Special I understand that... But could I not issue a EIC, or is there a reason why I can't do this for an addition and or alteration in a special location etc? And notify to Part P? Or is there a specific rule where I have to issue a MWC, as this is the confusing part...I think I have been misinterpreted and for that I do apologise.
you can issue an EIC for replacing a damaged accessory if you want

Cheers Andy. Let's say I add new socket and another light in a SL,would the requirement be two MWC or could one use a EIC? Just want to clarify in my head as to me would be easier with just the EIC rather than two MWC. Thanks

Ten four on the special, you learn something new everyday! Now that makes it perfectly clear, Cheers :)---------- Post Auto-Merged at 07:33 ---------- Previous post was made at 06:29 ----------

Part P has nothing to do with the type of certificate issued:-

Part P states certain electrical works or works in certain locations must be notified to the LABC and done in accordance with BS7671..

BS7671 defines what certificates are appropriate for certain types of works

Appendix B of approved document P pages 20 - 34 details the model forms as found in BS7671..

Any person who has passed the relevant C&G's should be aware of which certificates are used where..

(there use used to be in the questions used on exams!)

just to recap....

An EIC can be used for anything and everything to do with installation alterations or additions.....

But if you have only added one accessory onto a circuit..

Then an EIC can have a lot of overkill information..

and loads of bank or N/A boxes..

SO..

To save on wasted space and paper the single sheet MWC covers all the essential detail for small minor aleteration..

But if you had done several minor alterations to multiple circuits...

then it would be more efficient to just do one EIC rather than 3+ MWC's!!!

either way.. both MWC & EIC are applicable to commercial and domestic.

and if domestic and notifiable either can be used dependent upon the works done..

just use the most appropriate one for the job in question....

Horses for courses and all that!

:coffee

Last edited by a moderator:
Lengthen my message

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:04 ---------- Previous post was made at 09:56 ----------

Thanks Special. I did write a lengthy repl but phone deleted it. As for commercial comment I made was more ad lib/tongue in cheek and was not meant as anything else. If I confused,upset or basically looked a drongo for clarifying a simple matter then I do apologise. Just wanted to get right in my head. As for the Cities, yes I do but it seems I was not so attentive regarding MWC for spe loc. Thanks again for your reply much appreciated :))))