Silicone Grease

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonderful stuff it is!

F0494124-01.jpg

I dip wire ends in it before I put crimps on, I dip crimps in it before I push them together, I even dip stripped wire ends in it before I put bootlace ferrules on. I smear inside limit switches over the screw terminals. I dip coax in it before I screw F plugs on etc. Stuff lasts indefinitely outside/in harsh environments on the car etc.

But I've run out...

Need some at home over the weekend. Would plumbers grease do the same job?

34053.jpg

Do they not sell it at screwies or toolstation?

You'd think but no. I get it from CPC or RS.

The Rectorseal above I do have from TS (for lubing plumbing fittings). A bit like silicone grease but a tad thicker and has a more yellow / Vaseline tinge. 

My tube of silicone grease of choice for things like o rings, nuts and bolts, electrical enclosures and general work is Molycote 111, tube lasts for ages, buying online and the last time I bought from the bay it was about £10. Been using this brand  for about 25 years now so due to force of habit I have not tried any others so don’t know good, bad or indifferent.

My only doubt would be whether its electrical properties are OK for your use, so it depends on what you propose to use it for. You could look up that MIL Spec.

I've used silicone grease in the past to seal the ends of TV aerial coax, preventing rainwater entering the hollow insulation, but never heard of anyone else doing it before.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you want a drive upto geordie land ive got some

If only you said last weekend I was in Pontefract and could have popped over! 😂

Best comment from another forum:

"Rectorseal... hmm... depends what you have planned for the weekend, but I imagine it will be right up your alley 😉"

Local motor factors have this so I'll pop and get some.

Silicone_Grease_70g_500x400.jpg

pontefract is still 2 hours away

It's all up 't North to me! As is anything beyond the Dartford crossing. 

It was a pleasant trip to get my lathe last weekend. The seller and his missus, nice folk. 

It's many years since I've actually worked up North.

Latest posts