Silly Electrician thing !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else do this silly Electrician thing.?

To set the scene , Mrs Deke is cooking (all electric cooker/hob) , winter so plinth heater is on , I go for shower , then knowing we are on a 60A main fuse I switch the shower to 1/2 power first ,then full , thinking I won't take the fuse out on this cold winter's night with suddenly adding another 30A .

Needless to say , it never enters anyone else's mind to do such a thing .

And needless to say , fuse never blows due to it's nature anyway.

Just him, Sandra and :C

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:38 ----------

) ;) ; ) ;)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:38 ----------

;) ; ) ;) ; )

I am always concious of bonding when showering in dodgy hotels!

No I don't do that.

BUT I do have my old (analogue) clamp meter permanently on one of the meter tails in the office.

And if I notice both electric showers are on at the same time, I'll go and check the current, and try to discourage Mrs PD from boiling the kettle or using the toaster or microwave until one has finished showering.

No I don't do that.BUT I do have my old (analogue) clamp meter permanently on one of the meter tails in the office.

And if I notice both electric showers are on at the same time, I'll go and check the current, and try to discourage Mrs PD from boiling the kettle or using the toaster or microwave until one has finished showering.
Isn't that normal scots behaviour. Just watching the pennies

I have had a strange urge to touch a live on an RCD board to see how much it hurts before the RCD trips. I know the theory says i'd be fine but common sense is keeping me away.

I have had a strange urge to touch a live on an RCD board to see how much it hurts before the RCD trips. I know the theory says i'd be fine but common sense is keeping me away.
LOL !!! Here Richard hold these croc clips!!!!

And make sure it keeps doing it too !!!

I've seen a few examples of what you are saying Richard and it worrying TBH.

We had an apprentice with us years ago who we had to send home because we were working in a Sub-Station and there were some bare copper busbars behind a cage , he was obsessed with them and wanted to enter the cage and touch them . It was a DC sub in a steel works and he was just a danger.

And I think I posted this before but here goes , myself and another apprentice stopped an Instrument Technician Apprentice from sticking his head under a drop hammer . The hammer thumped out hot forgings of crank shafts, cam shafts,half shafts etc.

The guy went into a trance watching it thumping down onto the red hot steel .

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:38 ----------

LOL !!! Here Richard hold these croc clips!!!!
We could check your resistance Richard , best to try it on Megohms .

As an apprentice I held onto 115V 400Hz (not RCD protected) for a short while,,, severe pins and needles up my arms:O:O

Not nice

And make sure it keeps doing it too !!!I've seen a few examples of what you are saying Richard and it worrying TBH.

We had an apprentice with us years ago who we had to send home because we were working in a Sub-Station and there were some bare copper busbars behind a cage , he was obsessed with them and wanted to enter the cage and touch them . It was a DC sub in a steel works and he was just a danger.

And I think I posted this before but here goes , myself and another apprentice stopped an Instrument Technician Apprentice from sticking his head under a drop hammer . The hammer thumped out hot forgings of crank shafts, cam shafts,half shafts etc.

The guy went into a trance watching it thumping down onto the red hot steel .
The theory is different though. An RCD should disconnect with an earth fault, a busbar shouldn't lol.

My luck would mean I'd have a faulty RCD, hence why I wont try it.

Not that I know off, but after the amount of times I've being asked that I'm starting to wonder if my dad will ever get back with that bottle of milk...