Skin Buzzing When Standing On New Ufh

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me just confirm a few quick points.

(1) I cannot see anywhere in this topic that anyone has suggested a DIY fix to this heating problem. Numerous members have suggested "turn the system off and seek professional help"  

(2) Any competent electrician should be able to answer a telephone query from a customer reporting a potential fault and possibly talk them through a solution or temporary fix over the phone to save a site visit. (this is normal practice that has gone on for years and years). OR if required make a site visit to resolve the problem if it is outside of the customers abilities.

(3) Communications have moved on from 20+ years ago, we now have texting, e-mails, internet forums, facetime, Skype etc, etc, The same competent persons who could answer telephone calls in point '2' should, (providing they are sufficiently tech savvy & computer literate), be able to answer similar questions over modern communications. 

(4) Not all DIY persons are incompetent buffoons who are unable to strip a wire, read some 'L' 'N' & 'E' symbols and tighten a screw. Many may actually be better than some of the so called electricians who have done work on sites that we see on the photos in our black museum. 

(5) If we all try and use our expertise, knowledge and experience I am sure we can have a higher percentage of constructive answers to threads rather than the continual repeated debate over if or when DIY work should be banned and all DIY persons shot at dawn.

Thank you

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a thread about the subject would stop these threads being hijacked?  Seems unfair to the Ops but it is a legitimate concern of the majority of sparks I come across in my working life.  Also I have never and would never give telephone advice to anyone.  

Maybe a thread about the subject would stop these threads being hijacked?  Seems unfair to the Ops but it is a legitimate concern of the majority of sparks I come across in my working life.  Also I have never and would never give telephone advice to anyone.  
You are more than welcome to start your own thread and you are also under no obligation to frequently raise the issue of DIY work in other peoples threads. 

Doc H.

So you wouldn't give any advice over the phone to someone who has a tripping RCD?

Such as unplug everything, switch off all fused spurs and try to reset?
The contracts we work on would not be employing us very long if we responded in that way.  I know it may be different for others but that is what makes forums interesting.  Different view points.