Smart Controls

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any one have experience of heating controls such as NEST, HIVE, TADO, EVOHOME (honeywell)?

I've installed them all but not had enough feedback to discuss pro's and con's.

I've looked briefly, and when they start talking of over £100 for a thermostat, I just think somebody else can play with that sort of toy, not me.

My new house has a gas guzzler (back boiler). I'm getting a full new system installed very soon. Been looking at which smart stat to get. Was just about to create a new post and seen this one. So if anyone else has any views I too would appreciate them. Cheers

I dunno what is 'smart' about turning the heating on while you are not home.  Sounds kinda stupid to me.   :coat

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno what is 'smart' about turning the heating on while you are not home. Sounds kinda stupid to me. :coat
It does seem to be a marmite concept but I like the idea of it. Especially as I have a wife that likes to go out all day and leave the heating g on for when she gets home.

It does seem to be a marmite concept but I like the idea of it. Especially as I have a wife that likes to go out all day and leave the heating g on for when she gets home.
Never thought of it that way - fair comment.

I've always controlled my heating via the alarm. Also have web control to override everything if required. Don't really see what the smart stats are all about, but then I don't suppose I am their target audience.

I love my Nest it looks good and feels nice to use. The new v3 has second relay for hot water. Not much use for a combi off course. Good integration between nests if you've got multiple zones but at £200 each not cheap.

I put wet underfloor heating in our ground floor flat, combi boiler outputs at 40degC, secondary pump & home made manifold, wireless roomstat is on manual at 21degC all year round. Who needs smart controls?

Not fitted any for clients yet, no one has expressed any interest. One ridiculed it. I can see how turning on/off CH/HW from phone when out and about could be useful though.

That's about the only useful addition to a normal room stat I can see, which I could add for a lot less than £200.
care to share parts list?

(I might keep my silly hat on all year round too ;)  )

care to share parts list?
Depends, done it several different ways. Used links from alarms to trigger relays and/or can be triggered from SMS/phone call. Sort of made up to suit the situation at hand so could be anything from a relay, maybe a timer or 2, possibly some sort of GSM relay.

At home I have the alarm do auto setback and a Phaedrus Netiom which I can control via the internet to turn the heating on/off and set to home/away mode (also does other stuff, like server monitoring and reboot/power cycle for some things, also has a script running on it to reboot the modem/router if it loses internet connectivity).

I also had a standalone Arduino based controller that did all of the heating and also had web connectivity, currently sat waiting for me to stick it back together as everything is an eternal work in progress!

(I might keep my silly hat on all year round too ;)  )
Your decision, I have no problem with you looking mental!

I had Hive and now have nest. Basic functions are similar so depends what you want to do with it. I moved to nest for better integration into a 'Smart Home' i.e. I have a smart remote to control TV (sony) lights (Phillips) heating (nest) etc from different brands. Hive are a one brand solution i.e. it only works with Hive products and apps. 

Latest posts