Smoke alarm certs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyboy 68

Reaction score
hello boys ... quick one ... just done a job which included the installation of two smokes. I've followed BS5839 to the best of my knowledge. With regard to certification.... the alarms are to BS standard, interlinked and 1 is within 3metres of the bedrooms.. I have manually tested them but the cert has a space for Model and serial No ? Do I have to test them with a sound meter as well ? I'm getting conflicting advise on this .. some saying I don't need to because it's a domestic installation ??? help pls lads :put the kettle on

No i would not test them with a sound meter (you have ears)

there will be a serial no on the smoke though

Isn't is part of bs5839 that the sounder had to be so many db at the bed head with the door shut , or am I miss quoting ?

Where sleeping people are to be woken then 75 dB is required at the bedhead.

A loss of 30 dB per door should be allowed for, to guarantee 75 dB at the bedhead a sounder per bedroom is recommended.

N/A for Grade D BS 5839 PART 6 system

Sopund levels only required for Grade A system which is same as Part 1 system.

No i would not test them with a sound meter (you have ears)there will be a serial no on the smoke though
But you don`t enter that on the 5839-6 cert.

Isn't is part of bs5839 that the sounder had to be so many db at the bed head with the door shut , or am I miss quoting ?Where sleeping people are to be woken then 75 dB is required at the bedhead.

A loss of 30 dB per door should be allowed for, to guarantee 75 dB at the bedhead a sounder per bedroom is recommended.
You are correct Danny.

N/A for Grade D BS 5839 PART 6 systemSopund levels only required for Grade A system which is same as Part 1 system.
Are you sure Tim? I`ll have a look at 5839-6, but I`ve always tested this, as Danny says, for the sound level at bed-head. Off for a look - back soon.

KME

OK:

BS5839-6: 13.2e.

Refers to All category "LD" systems, and requires 75dB at any bedroom door, with the door open.

Therefore, to the O/P, I would say yes, you DO need to check. The serial no requested is that of the sound level meter.

KME

OK:BS5839-6: 13.2e.

Refers to All category "LD" systems, and requires 75dB at any bedroom door, with the door open.

Therefore, to the O/P, I would say yes, you DO need to check. The serial no requested is that of the sound level meter.

KME
I stand corrected, my copy says 85dB(A) at doorway with door open, 75 dB at bedhead.

Sure i had read different somewhere, maybe Aico quarentee level higher so for domestic with Alarm not far from bedrooms will comply.

:Blushing

Cheers lads... I'll get a sound meter tomorrow an do the job right !! hmmm more money .... betweem work an my missus , my wallet needs RCD'in !!!! It's all going the the wrong way !! Guinness

NICEIC inspector tols me on the last assessement if you use BS standard detectors/sounders and they are within 3m of the door then they are assumed to meet the sound level requirements so no test is required.

source :- Dave Colley - NICEIC inspector.

NICEIC inspector tols me on the last assessement if you use BS standard detectors/sounders and they are within 3m of the door then they are assumed to meet the sound level requirements so no test is required.source :- Dave Colley - NICEIC inspector.
There's no assumption about it. BS compliant smoke alarms are designed and engineered to have a 75+dB sound level at 3m. Thus compliance is assured without the need for every installer to carry a sound meter.