Smoke Alarms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r.b

Reaction score
I know the setup of your basic house smoke wiring one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom of the staircase.Also on big staircases there are 3 on a circuit top middle and bottom.Im wondering about if anyone has a converted loft into a bedroom is it a requirement to put a smoke in these or what?

I have a first tomorrow.

one detector in each room & one in the loft (7 in total), the loft is a bog standard dusty full of insulation affair not a converted one. The property is used as a care house for foster kids & the H&S ra picked up the boiler in the loft requiring a smoke detector.

Using the Kiddie RF units (customer purchased) instead of my usual Aico units.

just put 4 smokes and 1 heat in a 1 bed flat with stairs........

here is a question it is above some shops    should there be an alarm linked to the shop system

I don't mean linked to mine but a repeater from theirs ??

I know the setup of your basic house smoke wiring one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom of the staircase.Also on big staircases there are 3 on a circuit top middle and bottom.Im wondering about if anyone has a converted loft into a bedroom is it a requirement to put a smoke in these or what?
if your doing the conversion wiring, i suggest you get a professional alarm company in to install a full, proper fire alarm system, just for when your 10.5kW shower on a 160A DEO fuse and 2.5mm wiring goes up in flames, or all the outside lights connected to one undersized photocell

Last edited by a moderator:
just put 4 smokes and 1 heat in a 1 bed flat with stairs........

here is a question it is above some shops    should there be an alarm linked to the shop system

Theo , I have a set answer to this question .

So, ask yourself (a), am I an architect , project manager , council Clerk of Works etc. ?   Electrical Consultant ?  The owner of the building ?   Building services design manager ?  or  (b)  am I an electrician ?

If the answer is (b)    then its not your problem and outside your remit .

Theo:

If you`re above a commercial premises, then their alarm should generally have a sounder for the tenanted flat - not a detector, their system would be a 5839-6; but the repeater would be from the 5839-1 system.

However. If the tenant would not have access to the fire panel when shop closed; then they`d need to have a repeater panel, so the tenant could silence the alarms, in case of a false alarm :)

However, the designer of the original system, plus the RFO / BCO, may need to be consulted 

However. If the tenant would not have access to the fire panel when shop closed; then they`d need to have a repeater panel, so the tenant could silence the alarms, in case of a false alarm :)
but if the tenant does not have access to the shop when its close (and no access to panel), then how would they know its a false alarm to be able to silence it at the repeater?

Good question.

However - they have to be given a "sounder silence" control, if they have a sounder in their property.............
ME-99-005.jpg

also, what happens if there really is a fire (during opening times), and they silence alarm, then people stay inside

I believe the answer to that is no, a repeater is NOT required. It would however require a risk assessment to say for sure.

________________________________________​
 ​
With regard to smoke alarms in new builds it seems it is pretty much a case of who the building inspector is.

I have seen quite a few, what I would say "odd" things done for building control.

A house that have had to have smoke alarms through out the place all because of a loft extension

A house that only had only one smoke alarm because of a loft extension (It was in the loft)

Smoke alarms installed next to.........smoke alarms, because the building inspector didn't like the ones already there which were connected to the house burglar alarm. (I sort of agree with that one)

________________________________________​
 ​
In general it is always best to connect smoke alarms to the lighting circuit, not on its own MCB, reason being no one will want to live with no lights, but they often live with no smoke alarm.

As for smoke detector near the boiler, I would suggest that a Carbon monoxide alarm would be better.

This is my last question for a while now look I know it is better for smokes to be on its own circuit is it still allowed for the smokes and upstairs lighting to be on one circuit I say fine?

*** MERGED WITH EXISTING THREAD ***

Quote from Guidance Note 4;

"Power to come from an independent circuit OR

a regularly used local lighting circuit."

This is because the house occupier will know if

supply has been lost to the smoke alarm for any

reason.

If you do this you must provide a means of isolation

to the smoke alarm system.

Some say that RCD's should be omitted on these

circuits.

I have a first tomorrow.

one detector in each room & one in the loft (7 in total), the loft is a bog standard dusty full of insulation affair not a converted one. The property is used as a care house for foster kids & the H&S ra picked up the boiler in the loft requiring a smoke detector.

Using the Kiddie RF units (customer purchased) instead of my usual Aico units.
Aico are still my preferred smokes !!!!!!!!