So Apparently I Am Not Aloud To Find Work As An Electrician.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the subject of Job Centre experiences , I had some similar to those quoted above.

Around 20 years ago I was employed doing supervising and estimating , firm goes bust ( not due to my estimating) .

At the Job Centre I saw similar things to those quoted above , blokes covered in plaster dust , blokes with compo encrusted work boots, a plumber complete with van adorned with copper pipes and apart from them I was the only ethnic Englishman in the place ( OK it is B,ham I 'spose) .

A 12 year old lad inspects the form I filled in and says I may not be entitled to benefits as I may not have enough NI contributions .

After putting him right on that count and carefully avoiding the issue of how long all these other guys have been paying NI I ask if there is a list of vacancies . Not in your trade I was told , just the ones on that board. They were all for part time catering/bar staff/cleaners experience required.

So I was given £48.00 per week for a couple of weeks. I was then offered 2 weeks work by another spark on a school shutdown job in Wolverhampton. So I tell the Centre I can't sign on for 2 weeks... I'm working .

They say well we shall stop your benefit then!!!!

I say please do , I shall be earning around £1400 for the 2 weeks , I don't expect any benefit.

Three days later I receive a letter from the Benefit Service ...We have been informed that you are fully employed and have removed you from the system ...or words to that effect .

At this point I delared myself self employed :C Couldn't stand it anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big lumps of our tax money goes on fiddling MPs expenses, Yes the fiddles are still going on

I find it amazing that people will look down on some jobs when they do not have one, I have worked all my life and been made redundant a few times and any job is better than the pittance they pay in benifit. Another example is my nephew, he has a doctorship in mathamatics and computer science, guess what job he was doing last year? Selling rail tickets at a railway station!!! If he thinks its better to work than to sit on your backside, then thats enough for me.

He did the full Oxford and then Havard in the USA, and is humble enough to take any job on offer. He is now working in his choosen field but just shows how some people are motivated to work, and others are not.

Work all week and be less than £10 better off in your pocket for 40Hrs work.............why would anyone want to do that?

There are people i know now, that have a job but dont do overtime if they can help it because the soash takes it all back off them.

What really bugs me is that if you have more than one job you get taxed massively on the second one. The reason most people have two jobs is because they afford to live on just one. Getting taxed extra doesn't help in that situation.

I wouldn't live on benefits for personal reasons but I can see why people choose to do that rather than work.

When this country gets to the financial mess that some other countries are in, we will see how many want to get out and find work when the welfare system takes the hit.

The trouble is education. It does not prepare the youngster for the real world nor does it teach the principle of going to work, it promotes nothing but the fantasy picture of improve your education to get a better job. It doesn't tell them what hard work is involved to find work let alone keep it.

We as a society are doing nothing to plan for the future, we are a lot of the time looking for short term gain. It will take a massive change in attitude and mindset to get us on the right road again.

student loans dont help when some foreigners get a full grant from their own government(i was told when i was at uni), dont know what the situation is now.

What really bugs me is that if you have more than one job you get taxed massively on the second one.
The rate at which you are taxed is relative to the amount of your total earnings, not the number of jobs you have. two people earning the same gross amount will pay the same tax whether it is from a single job Mon-Fri or five different jobs Mon,Tue,Wed,Thur & Fri..

Doc H.

The rate at which you are taxed is relative to the amount of your total earnings, not the number of jobs you have. two people earning the same gross amount will pay the same tax whether it is from a single job Mon-Fri or five different jobs jobs Mon,Tue,Wed,Thur & Fri..

Doc H.
this is why I keep having the same argument with people that moan about getting hammered by tax on their overtime,

its the same percentage, but now you are earning more you pay more,

The rate at which you are taxed is relative to the amount of your total earnings, not the number of jobs you have. two people earning the same gross amount will pay the same tax whether it is from a single job Mon-Fri or five different jobs jobs Mon,Tue,Wed,Thur & Fri..

Doc H.
Than why did I have two different tax codes and different amount of tax deducted...?

Than why did I have two different tax codes and different amount of tax deducted...?
Possibly due to how your personal allowances have be used across your various sources of income. If you think they are incorrect you probably need to discuss it with your tax office. But however many jobs anyone has, the fundamental principal is still the same; Gross earnings {from all sources jobs & investments etc} minus any permitted allowances, equals your taxable pay. The following links may help explain better. The quantity of jobs has no relevance to the actually amount of tax paid just the total amount earned.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/check-multiple-codes.htm

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/employee-starting/special-situations/multiple-jobs.htm

Doc H.

In simple terms this tax year your personal allowance is a little over £8,000, ie the amount you can earn before you pay any tax. Somewhere will be your primary job and they will usually apply your tax code, the first £660 you earn per month is. tax free.

Lets say (to keep it simple you earn £24,000 per year) and have 2 equally paying jobs. Assume 20% income tax.

Job 1 - primary job £1000 per month, allowance of £660 so you are taxed on the remaining £340 @ 20% and pay £76 in tax.

Job 2 - secondary job. Also £1000 per month, but you have used your tax allowance so you are taxed @ 20% of £1000 so you pay £200 in tax.

Gives a total of £276 in tax.

If you had a single job earning £2000 per month then you are taxed @ 20% of £1340 which is still £276. It just looks like you pay more in your second job.

When it gets complicated is when you have multiple jobs, especially when the first job's earnings are below the tax threshold. I know a lady like this and HMRC make her pay full tax on all secondary earnings and then she gets a rebate at the end of the year. She has being told that she cannot split her personal allowance when paid at source.

Does that make sense?

primary job £1000 per month, allowance of £660 so you are taxed on the remaining £440............£340

In simple terms this tax year your personal allowance is a little over £8,000, ie the amount you can earn before you pay any tax. Somewhere will be your primary job and they will usually apply your tax code, the first £660 you earn per month is. tax free.

Lets say (to keep it simple you earn £24,000 per year) and have 2 equally paying jobs. Assume 20% income tax.

Job 1 - primary job £1000 per month, allowance of £660 so you are taxed on the remaining £340 @ 20% and pay £76 in tax.

Job 2 - secondary job. Also £1000 per month, but you have used your tax allowance so you are taxed @ 20% of £1000 so you pay £200 in tax.

Gives a total of £276 in tax.

If you had a single job earning £2000 per month then you are taxed @ 20% of £1340 which is still £276. It just looks like you pay more in your second job.

When it gets complicated is when you have multiple jobs, especially when the first job's earnings are below the tax threshold. I know a lady like this and HMRC make her pay full tax on all secondary earnings and then she gets a rebate at the end of the year. She has being told that she cannot split her personal allowance when paid at source.

Does that make sense?
Ah, that does make sense. It sounds a lot more complicated when HMRC explains it. Thank you Apache :)

Latest posts