So Apparently I Am Not Aloud To Find Work As An Electrician.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dunno, he said he got on his bike to find a job an thought he became a courier :C

Apache you must pay so much tax you get jealous of anybody spending it for you.

If you worked in macdonalds you may find you cannot pay your bills and end up having to move out your house on the hill and lose your car in less time than it takes a vet to charge £2000.

To be honest i really dont think anybody would employ an x vet in maccy deez. Your experience and CV would be inappropriate. You dont realise how many hoops and stage interviews you have to go through to get a crappy job.

Last edited by a moderator:
CSCS............1) I reckon I was the only native Englishman in there, 2) I was in and out within probably 15 mins tops, 3) Half of that time was spent fighting off an east European type who wanted to borrow my phone as his had run out of credit! Some questions were sensible but my favourite runs along the lines of:

You are working on site and notice a rat problem, do you:

A) Nip out to the pet shop at lunchtime and buy some traps

B) Tell your supervisor

C) Make sure your lunch box has a tight fitting lid

D) Wait until the next day and bring a large cat to work

I kid ye NOT!

p.s I put D)......................... :slap

My sister used to work in McDonald's, the money was decent. Show half an ounce of aptitude and they promote quickly. She has no further education but was a manager inside a year. Loads of paid for industry training - movable to other food industry. If she's gone one step higher she'd have got pension, BUPA etc etc.

I wish vets earn the money everyone thinks they do. The average vet salary is barely above the UK average. Yes I am employed and I do pay tax, if some of us didn't then there would be no welfare system. I've never paid higher rate tax if you think I am earning £100's of thousands of pounds. Anyone in business will know that a £2000 bill (which in my practice is virtually unheard of) doesn't = profit. Nowhere near.

Before I went self employed I was made redundant and foolishly went to the job seekers+ which should be reported to trade descriptions as there were no jobs, nobody seeking anything and I never found out what the + was for

Similar degrading interview episode by a 14 yr old snotty little thing with complete contempt for my turning up

Had to endure two hours of 'interview' basically being told how to find a job

Questions such as

As an electrician what type of businesses will you approach for a job? Erm electrical ones

You must apply for 5 jobs per week and retain photocopied application forms and be able to prove you attended interviews, proof could be a bus ticket into the town the interview took place or even a parking stub!

Eventually I was asked if I had any questions, yes, where are the jobs? I'm happy to do anything at all, for any pay, rather than sign on the dole

"oh I'm sorry you can't search for a job at the job centre until you have been unemployed for twelve weeks"

'why not?'

"it's the rule, there are people with greater need than you"

'so are you telling me that even though i want a job I can't have one and you would rather I signed on the dole?'

"oh you're not entitled to benefits of any kind for 12 weeks"

'so why am I here? Forget it il find my own job........'

You couldn't make it up

OK,

as a lot of you know Im sometimes referred to as a gyppo type,

mainly because Ive moved around a lot,

reason being, among other things,

to get work, if there is no work here then move to where there is some,

simples,

BTW, stop knocking the east Europeans et al, they are doing nothing different than what a lot of us Brits done in Germany a while back.

I do agree with the concept of any job is better than no job though, work is work.

i didnt knock the polish in my post, i just said im sure we could find a polish vet for £7 an hour.

There is not a workforce shortage only a descent wage shortage

When will people learn, job centers are places for the "i've done a sociology degree" numpties & failed social workers to be employed..they serve no purpose other than keeping a huge number of w****** off the unemployed listings, by employing them to ask once hardworking people stupid questions.

You will be far better off getting out there and pestering companies off your own back.

Nothing wrong with the Polacks or any other eastern Europeans most work hard........................the down side is when some of their brethren (they cant all be tarred with the same brush) share a house with 9 others split the rent, don't pay any tax, don't pay any car tax/insurance, send most of the money they earn home, are entitled to free health care, are entitled to child benefits, don't have the over heads we have so can under cut our prices.

But as steps says.....Auf Wiedersehen Pet

Oh dear you silly willy.

(Do you intend to draw a state pension when you retire? I hope not because the hypocrisy might be too much)

I think you've missed the main point of the post. Let me make it nice and clear for you. My primary purpose of being in the job centre was to explore another avenue in searching for employment in what I've trained to do. I was highlighting my experience with this and that no help or guidance was offered in searching for employment.

So maybe you should direct your anger problems at the job centre who are willing to pay out job seekers but don't find you a job.

Mr apache, you know nothing about me but because I have mentioned a government benefit system you have made many assumptions of me.

I really have no reason to explain why I made the decision to sign on to anybody, least of all to some stranger over the Internet who I know for a fact would not say the same thing to me if we were face to face.

I will say how ever that my search for employment isn't being made solely through this method and that I have sent copies of my cv to all four corners of this island, I make it a habit to talk to every electrician I see, badgering electrical companies/people is currently my main focus.

Last point before bed time: not one person on here so far has offered any advise to find employment, only criticise my own personal decision about something quite trivial.

well, I will offer some advice,

look for employment in something that you are able to do,

I would back up the job centre in that you shouldnt be looking for work as an electrician as you are not one,

perhaps a position as a sparks mate may be more appropriate, have bits of paper does not make you an electrician, having some experience along with those pieces of paper will however go some way to your aim.

(Do you intend to draw a state pension when you retire? I hope not because the hypocrisy might be too much)
No - I don't believe that my generation will be able to afford to retire. I can't see the country being able to afford state pension when my generation (that includes you) gets to retiring age. I can't afford a private pension, I have a mortgage.

Mr apache, you know nothing about me but because I have mentioned a government benefit system you have made many assumptions of me.
Of course I do, just like we make assumptions of every person we meet, or every person we come across on the internet. I couldn't walk out of my front door without feeling emasculated relying on the state whilst there was work out there. Look at the job pages - there are hundreds of them. We are getting people into their 3rd generation where they have not worked a day in their lives. Not saying that is you, but some people get used to being paid to sit on their fat arse. They seem to have a lot more free time than I do. They also seem to find the money for big TVs, booze and cigarettes. :C

I really have no reason to explain why I made the decision to sign on to anybody, least of all to some stranger over the Internet who I know for a fact would not say the same thing to me if we were face to face.
I have no-problem telling people what I think. I have said exactly what I have said in this thread to people's faces. People actually appreciate honesty, there are too many people in life who will tell you what they think you want/need to hear.

Last point before bed time: not one person on here so far has offered any advise to find employment, only criticise my own personal decision about something quite trivial.
I have. McDonald's are recruiting. Flip burgers. Clean toilets. Sweep the road. Empty the bins. Dig graves. Get A job. It's easier than you think.

How I hate the word entitled. MacDonald's are recruiting. If I was out of work I would do anything that was legal and paid the bills. Your post reads that because you have paid in to the system you are entitled to your share back. Funny thing is there are loads of jobs out there that no-one wants to do.
Its not as easy as that. I could give many examples but here's a current one. An old Friend of mine, husband ran off (now divorced)he had fiddled the mortgage and everything else she ended up with nothing. She had worked most of her life. She now lives in a rented room in a shared house & also gets some money,all via various benefits. Shes around 50 now and seriously looks for work but none she sees even offer enough to cover her room, fares to work and a food. She does voluntary work in a hospice and charity shop 5 days a week to fill her time. I have even picked her up to take her to a few job interviews because she could not afford 4 extra fares in one week. Even the off peak subsidized bus pass she was given was knocked back at the beginning of the year.

A mate of mine was unemployed last year so he headed down the job centre to sign on, had to attend there in person every one or two weeks whatever it is, he said it was an absolute joke, you had people being dropped off in work vans rolling in to sign on in there work gear covered in plaster, they sent him on courses not relevant to anything that would help you get a job and on showing me some of the course materials it looked like what you would expect a 5 year old to bring home from primary school at the end of the day. They sent him on a first aid course, they'd meet back at the course centre after dinner with a few of the participants stinking of booze.

After spending all his dole money too quickly there's a helpline you can call up and apply for a crisis lone, the crisis loan is paid out to you pretty much immediately without any sort of serious questioning as to why you need a crisis loan, "I left my wallet on the bus after drawing out my dole money" was a text book reply to getting a crisis loan.

"have you been looking for jobs"

"yes I,ve bought the paper"

"ok"

I used to be of the mindset that you should do any job you can but after applying for jobs and being told I'm too overqualified it isn't as easy as you think to get a any old job, think the current rate of applications is 60 people to every vacancy round here.

I'm self employed and recently being short of work and on the verge of being kicked out of my rented flat I was recommended to apply for working tax credits, which I did, I dread to think of the amount of tax I've paid in over the years and at 28 there will be no state pensions when i come to retire, it really will be work till you die, I'm an grafter through and through, always have been and always will but don't blame anyone for milking the system... I guarantee the majority of you do when using the loopholes and benefits in the taxing system when claiming "business expenses", any good accountant will have you paying the minimum ammount possible, if you can claim for something do, nobody will look after you unless you look after yourself.

The job/unemployed system is an absolute mickey take, I don't know what the answer is but the money and help isn't going to the genuine people that really need it and with the thousands being made unemployed every time one of these massive firms goes under the future isn't looking any better.

To all those slating the foreigners for coming over here and living in a shared room, shared rent, no tax etc etc, who can blame them, massively boosting their wages making a better life for their families, the problems not with them it's with the plonkers we've got running this country.

Bolton Spark - I agree with a lot of what you say. I am very supportive of a country with a welfare system, but there has to be a way of getting 'value for money' for taxpayers and help where it is genuinely needed.

I like the idea of vouchers that can be used for living expenses but not for alcohol or cigarettes. There would have to be photographic ID there somewhere or people would sell their vouchers. You could even do it with a pre-paid visa type card.

I also like the idea of making people claiming job seekers work for the community. If they want the full money they have to do 40 hours per week. Make them pick up litter, paint walls, mow grass. sort recycling etc etc. If they are genuinely going for interviews etc then that can come off the time, but no more than 8 hours per week.

I don't want to see kids starving on the street. That said people earning 50K per year, whether as a single person or a couple shouldn't be entitled to family allowance! That is just as hypocritical.

I'm supportive of people working for themselves, and yes there are legitimate business expenses that you can offset against tax. Great. Start a business and create jobs - the government should encourage that.

What they do is increase tax and push the wealth abroad.

How I hate the word entitled. MacDonald's are recruiting. If I was out of work I would do anything that was legal and paid the bills. Your post reads that because you have paid in to the system you are entitled to your share back. Funny thing is there are loads of jobs out there that no-one wants to do.
Mine included, so I must trudge on...

Anyone who genuinely feels they have been mistreated by the jobcentre is allowed to complain.. https://www.gov.uk/c...-jobcentre-plus it may be more productive than just moaning on the internet Unless of course it is just a case of expecting too much whilst not satisfying the eligibility criteria to use the services and/or receive any benefits.

Doc H.