socket outlets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maccarooni

Reaction score
Morning all,

pricing a small job, and in the spec they ask for DP switched sockets. now I generally fit single pole ( as they are cheaper ), but has anyone got ant valid explanation for DP as opposed SP, can't seem to find anything in black and white.

Macca

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Not a bit of confusion between a switched double socket and a double pole switched socket?

:)

You sure what they've asked for is what they mean?

There is no requirement to use double pole sockets but they don't cost much more and because they break both L+N they can isolate an appliance totally without the need for the plug to be removed.

SP - Single Pole. Switch isolates just the live conductor.

DP - Double Pole. Switch isolates both the live and neutral conductor.

There is no requirement to use double pole sockets but they don't cost much more and because they break both L+N they can isolate an appliance totally without the need for the plug to be removed.SP - Single Pole. Switch isolates just the live conductor.

DP - Double Pole. Switch isolates both the live and neutral conductor.
or you could just pull the plug out

Morning all,pricing a small job, and in the spec they ask for DP switched sockets. now I generally fit single pole ( as they are cheaper ), but has anyone got ant valid explanation for DP as opposed SP, can't seem to find anything in black and white.

Macca

For what its worth.. heres my tuppence worth.....:|Blushing

Clients requested spec "DP switched sockets" is your bit in black & white..

If thats what the customer requests thats what you quote for...

DP sockets or SP Sockets or NON-Switched Sockets,

are ALL acceptable means of isolation or switching off for mechanical maintenance..

Table 53.2 pg117

537.2.2.1 pg 119

537.3.2.6 pg 120

Functional switching doesn't need to switch Neutral, 537.5.1.2 pg 121

Plug & Socket can't be used as emergency switching, 537.4.2.8 pg

Also pgs 33 - 35 OSG, isolation & switching.

In a nutshell, as long as NOT for emergency switching,

if device comprises a plug & socket it doesn't need a switch but it can have one if preferred.

Another advantage of DP is if accidentally wired socket reversed. still isolates the Live..

Disadvantage, Possibly greater risk of one pole of switch going faulty..

e.g. more moving parts.. maybe more susceptible to bad connection & overheating?? ?:|

Personally I always fit DP sockets.. there isn't a fat lot in the cost...

& the customers paying anyway!

If the customer asks for bulkhead light you don't fit a coach lantern....

no different Sp / Dp / Non Switch sockets.. IMHO?

you probably knew all them bits anyway...

but may help others reading & point em to a few reference chapters.

;) :D

Not a bit of confusion between a switched double socket and a double pole switched socket? :)

You sure what they've asked for is what they mean?
No Apache definetly DP switched sockets....... :p

Clients requested spec "DP switched sockets" is your bit in black & white..

If thats what the customer requests thats what you quote for...

As indeed it should be ...they ask we give.....

DP sockets or SP Sockets or NON-Switched Sockets,

are ALL acceptable means of isolation or switching off for mechanical maintenance..

Table 53.2 pg117

537.2.2.1 pg 119

537.3.2.6 pg 120

Functional switching doesn't need to switch Neutral, 537.5.1.2 pg 121

Plug & Socket can't be used as emergency switching, 537.4.2.8 pg

Also pgs 33 - 35 OSG, isolation & switching.

In a nutshell, as long as NOT for emergency switching,

if device comprises a plug & socket it doesn't need a switch but it can have one if preferred.

Another advantage of DP is if accidentally wired socket reversed. still isolates the Live.. As you will obviously be aware, once all the dead testing has been done , there will be NO risk of this scenario..

So as i can see from the responses , theres no requirement for them and no reg either.

I did ring and ask the question, and the reply i got from the builder was ," thats what shes asked for ".

So there you go....

Macca

They might be watching this site to see what the response is,ref the sockets.

Cant get spell checker to work.

to much Bass.

Another advantage of DP is if accidentally wired socket reversed. still isolates the Live.. As you will obviously be aware, once all the dead testing has been done , there will be NO risk of this scenario..
Other than the risk of DIY work dabbling with sockets after you have left.... ;)

Sounds like the customer might be meaning double sockets - how many customers would have the knowledge that such things even exist, yet alone choose to specify them?

My only thought is if you have a fault on circuit the customer will say everything is switched off but with single pole the neutral will still be connected and hence Rcd/Rcbo will trip. But for the few extra pennys I always fit DP sockets.

Batty

Other than the risk of DIY work dabbling with sockets after you have left.... ;)
True but once i've left and gave them a cert, surely then that becomes their responsibility.

If this was the case, we would then also become liable for work after we have left all our jobs.

I find that once a job has been done properly, the DIYer then sees the standard of the work and gets you back for other little jobs.

Macca

Sounds like the customer might be meaning double sockets - how many customers would have the knowledge that such things even exist, yet alone choose to specify them?
sorry G I L

didn't see you post.

when i spoke to builder after he'd told me that was what she wants,,,he said he's done a few renovation/interior designing jobs for her previously. So I've priced for DP cockets.

Macca

Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink

sorry G I L didn't see you post.

when i spoke to builder after he'd told me that was what she wants,,,he said he's done a few renovation/interior designing jobs for her previously. So I've priced for DP cockets.

Macca

Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink
Are you sure your minds on the job. :eek:

]:)

So I've priced for DP 'cockets'.

Are you sure your minds on the job. :eek:

]:)
Do we have a new word here that needs to go onto the automatic filtering system Admin?

Doc H.