Which Consumer Unit?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so it is on this page but the change is easy to miss if you're not looking for it as there are links to 2 versions of part M.

The main thing to note is

Approved Document M (2015 Edition)

Please note: The 2004 (single volume) edition of Approved Document M as amended, will continue to apply to work started before 1 October 2015 or work subject to a building notice, full plans application or initial notice submitted before that date.
so in the OP's case the CU can be any height.

OK, so it is on this page but the change is easy to miss if you're not looking for it as there are links to 2 versions of part M.

The main thing to note is

so in the OP's case the CU can be any height.
Interesting, thanks

Just going back though I assume osme wil lsay that rule always applied but the guidance clarified it or are you saying its clearly a new rule from 1st Oct?

Just going back though I assume osme wil lsay that rule always applied but the guidance clarified it or are you saying its clearly a new rule from 1st Oct?
I'd say it is clearly a new rule.

Not as far as I am concerned. I take it is they are clarifying the original requirement that was being misunderstood.
Somehow I knew you would say that.

The old version didn't state that a lot of things (as I mentioned earlier) needed to be below 1200 and this version doesn't specifically state where most of those items should be either. It also says that part M does not apply to any rooms used solely as service areas, so you could stick the CU in a non-habitable room and then part M contradicts itself.

As per most of the regualtions we have to adhere to, they are a bit woolly and open to interpretation. You've got your opinion, I've got mine. I'd go for the one that gives me least hassle, and the one that I have never ever had any BCO query me on.

Hi Mouk,

For the record, I don't have a problem supplying to your electrician and you paying for it. I have a few customers who do exactly that.

Transfer of Title would occur at the time of payment in full. You could pay my Invoice by BACS, so that there is some proof of ownership on your part.

Further proof of ownership would be apparent when the job is tested and an EIC is issued.

I would have a problem dealing directly with you, unless I receive instruction to do so, in writing from a legitimate Trade customer.

SBS Dave

Hi Mouk,

For the record, I don't have a problem supplying to your electrician and you paying for it. I have a few customers who do exactly that.

Transfer of Title would occur at the time of payment in full. You could pay my Invoice by BACS, so that there is some proof of ownership on your part.

Further proof of ownership would be apparent when the job is tested and an EIC is issued.

I would have a problem dealing directly with you, unless I receive instruction to do so, in writing from a legitimate Trade customer.

SBS Dave
Great post. Shame some members don't take a similar line with regards to advice.

well i sent 3 large wholesalers a spreadsheet of what i wanted and none replied yet - maybe tomorrow

i suspect we will get all the wiring and sockets from the local wholesalers but looks to me certain things like fans, CU, LED floodlights and so on i can get cheaper online if i just buy it direct

OK, well in my search I;ve elarnt a lot. I have generally decided what I wnat for most things - the most critical decision is the sockets and accessories - I am having a hard time getting wholesalers giving me prices other than their own makes even though I have specifically asked for a certain well known make.

As far as consumer units go - a Crabtree metal unit which is what I want is the best part of £300.

Denmans do a Curve which apparently is well liked and would be a good budget alternative but the new design is not out yet.

Another alternative is the Denmans Basic range but seen bad feedback about it.

So no sure yet what unit I will be getting.

As for the other queries - electrician doesn't want to move the electric companies stuff so we are leaving it where it is but I will be pushing BC to let me move the CU higher up the wall so I can get it in and get it out of the way.

I dont see why one cannot sand down and prime/paint the outside of a metal CU to make it match the rest of the painted wall ?

with no warranty?

No decent spark sells 2nd hand ebay stuff unless its no longer made!
I don't think he said get a 2nd hand RCBO with no warranty.

I will be pushing BC to let me move the CU higher up the wall so I can get it in and get it out of the way.
Have they specifically said it has to be lower? It doesn't need to be so there should be no need to push anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts